This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

changed inode-directory icon, 'disappears' in preview mode..

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Okay. I've responded in that topic now.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
pagoda
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Okay. I've responded in that topic now.

Ok thanks.
But this is starting to do my head in... I think I must be missing something obvious here.
But as I see it something is definitely wrong. And here's why...

I downloaded a theme from kde-look.org and everything works fine. Tooltips, Previews, the lot. Ok.
So my question now is this...
Why is it when I copy the existing oxygen folder and rename it and replace every folder (i.e folder.png, user-home.png, & inode-directory.png) by hand for every size, with the exception of the 16x16 Tasks, (e.g open-folder and sync etc) are there the above issues? This is with a reset to default inode folder icon in System Settings, and is for all intents, an entirely new icon theme.
What makes this altered icon set different to the downloaded one in that it has these issues? I fail to see how these sets differ, with the exception of the yet unchanged 16x16 icons.
Note: renaming includes the contained index.theme file also.
pagoda
Registered Member
OS
SOLVED

Seemingly the index.theme file was corrupted and presumably defaulting to the original icon or otherwise showing no icon at all.

Many many thanks bcooksley for your time and patience.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Interesting - do you know what the nature of this corruption was?
I suspect it caused KDE to either ignore your theme, or only follow parts of it (leading to the original icon to show up in some places).

KDE Sysadmin
pagoda
Registered Member
OS
My icon theme is one I've carried with me for nearly two years.
I've copied, backed-up, edited it once too many time perhaps?
I had the thought to copy the index.theme file from the downloaded theme and rename it accordingly, and it worked beautifully.
My head feels better for it...
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Okay. Rather than corruption it could have simply been missing entries for various categories or icon sizes, which is primarily what the index.theme contains.

KDE Sysadmin
Cris70
Registered Member
OS
Hi all,
I'm on KDE 4.12.3 on Linux Manjaro, and I'm still seeing this problem.

I applied the "Flamini" icon theme and everyhting was good (well almost... I had to clean the thumbnails cache and remove icon-cache.kcache, but that's for another bug report). Then I applied a different icon for the folders by modifying inode-directory in System Settings -> File Associations, and now I'm seeing a generic document icon whenever I enable previews in Dolphin and there are folder containing images (exactly as reported by pagoda).

Is this supposed to be fixed?

Bye
Cris
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Is the generic document icon used for everything, or just for folders with previews available?

KDE Sysadmin
Cris70
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Is the generic document icon used for everything, or just for folders with previews available?

Just for folders with previews available.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Does your new icon theme provide for the inode-directory icon in all appropriate sizes?

KDE Sysadmin
Cris70
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Does your new icon theme provide for the inode-directory icon in all appropriate sizes?

Yes, it is made of svg icons, so they cover all possible sizes.
Looking in the icon theme directory I can see there is a specialized "22x22" directory for small sizes (in the index.theme this is declared as being for sizes 8-22) and a generic "svg" directory for all other sizes (in the index.theme this is declared as being for sizes 24-1024).
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Following the direct change of the inode-directory icon, did you flush the icon cache manually?

KDE Sysadmin
Cris70
Registered Member
OS
Yes, but just to be sure I did it again now.
Then I read about the "kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental" command and so I did it too, while being logged out.
Unfortunately this did not change anything: I am still seeing the genric document icon on folders that contain images (with preview enabled).
luebking
Does this also happen with the oxygen theme (or any other theme) or only "Flamini" (which unfortunately seems behind a paywall)?
Cris70
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:Does this also happen with the oxygen theme (or any other theme) or only "Flamini" (which unfortunately seems behind a paywall)?

luebking, I would have to test it by getting back to oxygen. I'll do a test in the evening on my home PC that already uses oxygen.

But why do you say that Flamini is behind a paywall? You can freely get the Flamini iconset from "Get Hot New Stuff" or from opendesktop.org or from DeviantArt.