This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

changed inode-directory icon, 'disappears' in preview mode..

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
luebking
'cause of the big fat "purchase" button on DA - didn't see the tiny dropbox link ;-)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
To clear the icon cache, you need to remove /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/icon-cache.kcache outside KDE.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Cris70
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:To clear the icon cache, you need to remove /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/icon-cache.kcache outside KDE.

That's what I did bcooksley: I logged out, logged into one of the terminal session (CTRL-ALT-F1) and cleared the cache, then logged in again.
luebking
Is this https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=256856 ?
If you launch a dolphin instance, then change the theme, activate the dolphin window and press F5 - does that show you the correct icons?
Cris70
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:Is this https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=256856 ?
If you launch a dolphin instance, then change the theme, activate the dolphin window and press F5 - does that show you the correct icons?

luebking, this is a different issue (maybe connected?). This bug is the reason why you need to clear the cache manually when you apply a new theme, otherwise some of the icons will not be correctly applied.
The problem we are discussing here, instead, is not fixed even when manually clearing the cache.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Hmm, i'm suspecting the code which handles generating the thumbnail is unable to handle custom icons. It likely can handle icon themes fine though.
If you enable all debug areas (using kdebugdialog), is anything relevant output into ~/.xsession-errors when you attempt to view folder previews?

KDE Sysadmin
Cris70
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Hmm, i'm suspecting the code which handles generating the thumbnail is unable to handle custom icons. It likely can handle icon themes fine though.
If you enable all debug areas (using kdebugdialog), is anything relevant output into ~/.xsession-errors when you attempt to view folder previews?

Tried it right now: unfortunately nothing relevant is displayed :(
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunate. If you override the icon name in the theme, instead of changing the icon through the file associations panel directly, does that work?

You will need to create the appropriate folder structure (essentially mirroring /usr/share/icons/themeName/) under ~/.local/share/icons/themeName/ and place files with the appropriate names there. My apologies if that doesn't make sense.

KDE Sysadmin
Cris70
Registered Member
OS
Gonna try it and report back.
luebking
I do not get dolphin icons correct even when deleting (unlinking, not wiping) the cache (though dolphin is a new instance)
However I /do/ get dolphin icons updated when having a dolphin instance running, change the theme, enter the dolphin window and trigger an update (F5) - thus I wondered whether you tried this on your case.
Cris70
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Unfortunate. If you override the icon name in the theme, instead of changing the icon through the file associations panel directly, does that work?

You will need to create the appropriate folder structure (essentially mirroring /usr/share/icons/themeName/) under ~/.local/share/icons/themeName/ and place files with the appropriate names there. My apologies if that doesn't make sense.

bcooksley, the "Flamini" icon theme that I am using is not located under /usr/share/icons, instead it is under ~/.kde4/share/icons. Is it ok?
Can I proceed to mirror the folder structure under ~/.local/share/icons or should I do something else?
Cris70
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:I do not get dolphin icons correct even when deleting (unlinking, not wiping) the cache (though dolphin is a new instance)
However I /do/ get dolphin icons updated when having a dolphin instance running, change the theme, enter the dolphin window and trigger an update (F5) - thus I wondered whether you tried this on your case.

luebking, what do you mean by "unlinking, not wiping"?
I have always been successful by just deleting /var/temp/kdecache-$user/icon-cache.kcache, but for the aforementioned problem with previews of folders containing pictures.
I'll try what you suggest, however.
luebking
rm /foo/bar "unlinks" the inode (the applications still hold it open "as it was")
echo "" > /foo/bar "wipes" it (though in a very naive way that will very likely cause crashes when performed on the cache. just for illustration!)
Cris70
Registered Member
OS
luebking wrote:rm /foo/bar "unlinks" the inode (the applications still hold it open "as it was")
echo "" > /foo/bar "wipes" it (though in a very naive way that will very likely cause crashes when performed on the cache. just for illustration!)

luebking, thank you for your explanation.
However, I deleted (unlinked) it while I was not logged into KDE, so there was no application keeping it open (I guess).
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
In the case where the icon theme already exists under your home directory, simply replace the icons in it directly. Make sure you replace all the various sizes with appropriately sized icons. After doing that you'll need to re-wipe the icon cache again.

KDE Sysadmin