This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Change tab in dialog windows → keyboard shortcut

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
koukasio
Registered Member
I know this seems a bit too much but I would like to know what to do about the keyboard shortcut in dialog windows which changes tabs.
In gtk and windows apps, the Ctrl+{PgUp,PgDn} shortcut changes tabs in dialog(and other) windows ,it seems to be a standard in every respectful app.
I am a total tard with mouseless, keyboard-only control: keyboard shortcuts, xkb customization, window managers, etc. and I've been thinking of this for years.
I have to touch the mouse in order to change tabs in menus, which is something that I can of course live with, but I enjoy KDE for its perfection!
This may seem weird, but in apps like libreoffice with lots of dialog windows with tabs it is of great help if you work on it every day of your life .
In some windows it works to press left and right arrow keys but it doesn't work in general.
There is of course the cool thing with the underlined letters to press with Alt+letter (there is no such thing with gtk,windows apps), but I would like to have the Ctrl+{PgUp,PgDn} shortcut.
Will I have to post a new idea in the KDE Brainstorm section or am I posting in the right place?
google01103
Manager
for me in LibreOffice ctrl+{PgUp,PgDn} works fine in Calc -> format cells but in Writer ->page style only partially as it won't change until I click Page then will continue paging till the end then it stops when it gets back to Organizer

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

koukasio
Registered Member
I was mistaken, Libreoffice dialogs work fine as most gtk,window$ apps. The question has to do with kde apps. You can try for example the systemsettings or kcmshell4 dialogs...
google01103
Manager
other than systemsettings/kcmshell any other examples?

koukasio
Registered Member
Thanks for your quick replys!!
It affects all KDE apps, more examples:
calligrasheets→cell_format(ctrl+alt+f)
other cases are:
in okular→Settings→Configure Okular in which case there are no tabs but a menu to the left which can only change be focused with the mouse or tab/ISO_Shift_Tab
in konqueror→Settings→Configure Konqueror in which case there is a tree like menu to the left
those last two cases would require another shortcut like Ctrl+{Up,Down}.
After you have focused the specific menu entry in the left side tree, and dialog tab afterwards, you can use the Alt+letter shortcuts, or focus buttons/forms with tabs and toggle with space key.
google01103
Manager
what is ISO_Shift_Tab ?

you might have to post wish requests on bugs.kde.org for each app, as I don't dev not sure there'd be any way to do this globally

koukasio
Registered Member
My mistake ISO_Left_Tab → Shift+Tab
I wouldn't like to think it should be that difficult
Then how is it achieved globally on every gtk app? I don't have many gtk apps to test , but it works on all of them
nautilus, easystroke, grsync, libreoffice, cheese, dia, xsane, playonlinux, synaptic package manager
It seems more likely to me that it is a qt thing... librecad and scribus are qt apps not connected to kde and they have the same behaviour
What do you think, what should I do in this case ? Where should I post a request, idea or bug ?
google01103
Manager
if you place it in Brainstorm then you might be able to show that it is a feature that has wide appeal

not sure where on bugs.kde.org you'd best post for a wish ?

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Assuming that this works in some parts of KDE, the issue here is likely one of focus - if the tab widget (which includes any children elements of it such as pages and their widgets) does not have focus, then this won't work.

If this is the case - then it does need fixing on a app by app basis (although it is more complicated for System Settings, as that will have to be fixed on a control module by control module basis).

If it does not work at all, except in one or two places, then it is possible that there is no global implementation of this at all in Qt - in which case implementing it there will lead to a large majority of KDE applications automatically gaining the functionality.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
koukasio
Registered Member
Actually, it does not work at all on any part of KDE.
It seems more likely to me that it is a qt thing... librecad and scribus are qt apps not connected to kde (I suppose..?) and they have the same behaviour.
Does this make us lucky (easier to fix)?
I can tell you one instance where you can change tabs in a dialog but it's a bit tricky/random/lucky
krunner→type "window behavior"→left&right arrow keys change tabs. It happens in some dialogs but the behavior is not good e.g. if you place the cursor in some text form , the keys will of course not change tabs. If you try the same dialog through systemsettings, keys won't work.
I've also posted as advised on KDE brainstorm
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=111352&p=265776#p265776
I hope I haven't made a mess
Thanks
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Okay. The reason why this possibly works in some parts is due to the use of QTabWidget vs. KTabWidget in some areas.
As it works sparsely at best, and doesn't in those two Qt applications you mentioned - implementing this in Qt would probably be the best way forward I think.

KDE Sysadmin
koukasio
Registered Member
It's nice to hear from you that it is implementable!
What is there to be done now? Do you have any instructions for me as to where to post or request?
I am a student of National Technical University of Athens, I don't have much money, but I can at least symbolically donate something to the KDE project, which I am completely in love with... How can I donate?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
A request would have to be made to the Qt developers. Alternately, if you implement this you could post the patch to their Gerrit instance. I'm not sure if they are accepting patches to Qt 4 for new functionality however.

There are details on how donations can be made on kde.org I believe.

KDE Sysadmin
koukasio
Registered Member
Unfortunately, I am not a developer, I am only a user, which means I can't implement it myself. So I will have to make a request to the Qt developers.
Thanks for the help.
I made the donation :)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Thanks. If the Qt developers do not accept your request, I would suggest filing a bug against kdelibs in bugs.kde.org instead.

KDE Sysadmin