This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to set KDM (login) background w/o GUI?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lphilpot
Registered Member
OS
There's apparently a bug in the 'kdm' module of systemsettings that doesn't pass the filename back from the file dialog when selecting a background image for the login screen. For example:

Code: Select all
$ kcmshell4 kdm
true
QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
  Resource id:  0x4a000ae

The first "No file name specified" was when I clicked the 'picture' button and second was after I selected a file and clicked "OK" on the dialog. The filename never shows up in the list, so it's obviously not getting passed back.

Since this info ends up in a file somewhere, I assume I could just manually edit it, if I knew what/where... ??

This is 4.10.3 on Fedora 18 64-bit, if it matters.

Thanks!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
First, make sure that KDM is not using a themed greeter - as it will not work in this mode.
At least on my system the background configuration appears to be stored at /etc/kde4/kdm/backgroundrc

It has the following content:
Code: Select all
[Desktop0]
BackgroundMode=Flat
BlendBalance=100
BlendMode=NoBlending
ChangeInterval=60
Color1=0,0,200
Color2=192,192,192
CurrentWallpaper=0
LastChange=0
MinOptimizationDepth=1
MultiWallpaperMode=NoMulti
Pattern=fish
Program=
ReverseBlending=false
UseSHM=false
Wallpaper=/usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/SUSE/Background.jpeg
WallpaperList=
WallpaperMode=Scaled

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
lphilpot
Registered Member
OS
Greeter is non-themed.

I don't have /etc/kde4, but I do have /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc, which contains "BackgroundCfg=/var/lib/kdm/backgroundrc" in the "[X-*-Greeter]" section. And, /var/lib/kdm/backgroundrc contains similar entries to your example above, so I made the change there and it works! Thanks!

Now, the next thing will be to track down where the background for the Fedora splash screen is kept, so I can change it to match.

Thanks again.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Not a problem. Are you referring to the system boot splash, or the KDE login splash?

KDE Sysadmin
lphilpot
Registered Member
OS
...the KDE splash. I've looked at changing the system splash, which is a part of the grub2 config. I've found where the Fedora images are kept, but haven't figured out yet the secret to getting them to change... close, but no cigar. By selectively replacing images I can change the splash background, but it gets (visually) corrupted and I've not yet figured out the fix for that.

I'd write more now, but it's 5:20 a.m. and I'm getting ready for an early - morning bike ride with friends, so I have to run (or ride!). :-)

Thanks.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
For the KDE startup splash, you'll probably want to look into crafting a KSplash theme - basically a set of background of various sizes.

KDE Sysadmin