This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Curious about a few differences in KDE 4.10

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Annorax
Registered Member
OS
Hello all,

I'm running Kubuntu 13.04 with KDE 4.10. I am coming from Kubuntu 12.10 (KDE 4.9 I believe?) and I am noticing a few things different.

1.) Whenever there are system updates, this box appears in the top middle of the screen telling me there are updates. I don't remember seeing it in 4.9. Is there any way to disable this box? I have my tray show me when I have updates so I don't need to see it in two places.

2.) Under System Settings -> Display and Monitor -> Screen Locker, I have chosen to use the screen saver (with no password) and not a screen locker. However, right before the screen saver turns on, for a second or two I see the screen locker image. If I then move the cursor or something to disable the screen saver, I don't see it - but I'm wondering why I am seeing it during startup of the screen saver at all, maybe some KDE bug? It's minor but just curious if it is intended.
google01103
Manager
1) is this the notification? Image
it's probably from Muon, is that what you have installed as a package manager? if so look and see if there is a Muon setting to disable it or try removing the muon-notifier package

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Annorax
Registered Member
OS
Yes, I have Muon and that is what I am using as a package manager, but no - that's not it. My taskbar is on the bottom (like the default KDE setup). This is a light gray non-transparent rectangle in the top middle of the screen. Clicking on it doesn't seem to do anything except make it go away - I still need to click the little gear to do the updates.
google01103
Manager
can you post a pic of the notice

Annorax
Registered Member
OS
Here is what it looks like (top middle of the screen).

google01103
Manager
that looks like the Muon update notifier, but as I don't use it .....

1) right click the Muon system tray icon see if there's a don't show notifier option
2) open the Moun app settings/configure and see if there's a don't show notifier option
3) remove the Muon-notifier package
4) post on your distro's forum as this is where you got it

Annorax
Registered Member
OS
I wasn't sure if this was Kubuntu or KDE specific. I actually posted in the Ubuntu and Kubuntu forums and to this day (weeks later) I got exactly zero replies so I figured I would ask if it was a KDE thing. :)

Thank you for the prompt replies. I changed a setting but I'm not 100% sure if that will fix it.

Anyone know about issue #2 I asked about? Seems like a minor KDE bug/glitch - not sure if it's working as designed or not.
google01103
Manager

Annorax
Registered Member
OS
Thanks - that definitely seems related to the issue I'm facing.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
With regards to issue #1 - that is a default KNotify style notification. This means that either "Application notifications" are disabled in your Notifications applet - or you do not have a Notifications applet in your system tray.

Alternately, the Muon updater is started in an unusual manner - and is not able to communicate with kuiserver properly.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]