This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Skulpture artwork (RFC)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
SeaJey
Registered Member
OS

RE: Skulpture artwork (RFC)

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:45 am
Any chance to have Skulpture semi-ported to Qt3?

kubuntu 10.04 AMD64 - KDE 4.4
AMD - radeonHD - M-Audio revolution 5.1
cfeck
KDE Developer

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:40 pm
[quote='jrick']
Are there plans to make a rounded skulpture?
[/quote]
Yep, you can make rounded buttons, just find the line with "k *= 0.1;" in skulpture.cpp and replace the number with a higher value (0.2 ... 0.9). Other widgets cannot have round frames yet, so I did not implement a user visible configuration option.

I had hoped to merge the new frame engine into 0.2. It has configurable roundness without the problems that the old button frame engine has. But that will have to wait for a future version.

[quote='KejPi']
But seem to me it it is too late to report anything now[...]
[/quote]
You can still report, as there will be more 0.2.x updates shortly. Actually I released it to get more feedback! Not that I run out of ideas, though :)

[quote='SeaJey']
Any chance to have Skulpture semi-ported to Qt3?
[/quote]
I am not interested in a Qt 3 port. In fact, I spend all my energy to make KDE 4 usable, in the hope that I can remove KDE 3 one day.

Christoph Feck
jrick
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:12 am
cfeck wrote:[quote='jrick']
Are there plans to make a rounded skulpture?

Yep, you can make rounded buttons, just find the line with "k *= 0.1;" in skulpture.cpp and replace the number with a higher value (0.2 ... 0.9). Other widgets cannot have round frames yet, so I did not implement a user visible configuration option.

I had hoped to merge the new frame engine into 0.2. It has configurable roundness without the problems that the old button frame engine has. But that will have to wait for a future version.
[/quote]

Wow, looks nice. Yeah, I'll wait until all the widgets can have a rounded border before I try it. Keep up the good work!

Type Colemak!

Proud, Conservative Republican

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
--President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove
frustphil
Registered Member

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:13 pm
hi,

could you please highten up the panel header(eg. places panel header) of your theme so that the white space of the places panel(or whatever panel is in there) levels with the white space on the other side(where the directories reside)? i marked it with a red line in my screenie to elaborate my point. don't know.. it catches my eyes. i think it's visually cleaner if they get aligned. here's a screenshot: http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... lpture.png

i really like your theme so much. here's wishing for a slicker and more contemporary version in the future :)
thanks!

Last edited by frustphil on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frustphil, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
cfeck
KDE Developer

Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:14 pm
[quote='frustphil']
could you please highten up the panel header [...]
[/quote]
Hm, I would rather make the path selector smaller :) I gave up trying, but I have a workaround for 0.2.1.

I still need more feedback, before I release it, though.

Christoph Feck
frustphil
Registered Member

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:11 am
cfeck wrote:Hm, I would rather make the path selector smaller :) I gave up trying, but I have a workaround for 0.2.1.

I still need more feedback, before I release it, though.

mm, i hope ur workaround will work..:)

btw, if u don't mind.. is there a chance to make its texture look like bespin? *wishing*

thank you for your beautiful theme!

Last edited by frustphil on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

cfeck
KDE Developer

Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:19 am
[quote='frustphil']
btw, if u don't mind.. is there a chance to make its texture look like bespin? [/quote]
Texture? Are you talking about full window gradients like Oxygen has? I tried them, and they disturbed the clean appearance it currently has.

Anyway, try option "Make places panel transparent" in snapshot 0.2.0.1, it does not resize the dock header, but maybe it helps improving your dolphin experience.

If you find other annoyances, please let me know. I really like your feedback. Too bad KejPi does not share his with us ;)

Christoph Feck
frustphil
Registered Member

Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:44 am
cfeck wrote:Texture? Are you talking about full window gradients like Oxygen has? I tried them, and they disturbed the clean appearance it currently has.

Oh well I didn't know you tried it but thanks anyway...
cfeck wrote:Anyway, try option "Make places panel transparent" in snapshot 0.2.0.1, it does not resize the dock header, but maybe it helps improving your dolphin experience.

If you find other annoyances, please let me know. I really like your feedback. Too bad KejPi does not share his with us ;)

Unfortunately, I am not using KDE right now because there are too many things that are holding me back. To name a few, the Firefox integration and this. But I'll give it a shot. It would be pleasure..

KFreak
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:02 pm
cfeck wrote:Anyway, try option "Make places panel transparent" in snapshot 0.2.0.1, it does not resize the dock header, but maybe it helps improving your dolphin experience.

THX U very much! I love this option! :-)

KFreak, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
lzfy
Registered Member

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:19 am
I really love this theme, especially with the Qtqurve color scheme. There is one little thing that bothers me though. Whenever you deselect a file or a folder, an ugly highlight appears on that item. See the screenshot to see what I mean. Is it possible to get rid of that completely?

lzfy, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
SeaJey
Registered Member
OS

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:52 am
Confirming this artefact - the first icon is always semiselected.
Using kubuntu intrepid packages of skulpture-0.2.0

cfeck
KDE Developer

Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:57 pm
It is a Qt feature to make sure the keyboard focus indicator in item views, such as the one Dolphin uses, is always visible, even if the widget has been activated by mouse.

I changed this behaviour in version 0.2.1.1, not only for Dolphin, but for all item views. This means the focus indicator should no longer be visible, unless you use the Tab key to focus into the widget. If this does not degrade usability, I would like to make this the default for future versions.

So please test it a bit and tell me if this needs to be reverted.

@SeaJey, sorry for your comment on WordPress showing up so late, it got marked as spam because of the image link :)

Christoph Feck
lzfy
Registered Member

Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:58 pm
Thank you so much for fixing this "bug" :) This made the style only better, and as far as I know, Skulpture is the only style without this "bug" now.

One more suggestion. Bespin allows you to disable menu icons, did you think about adding this option to Skulpture? I think it would be good to have this :)

lzfy, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
SeaJey
Registered Member
OS

Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:32 am
Another suggestion:
ability to customize skulpture windeco - by now it is to wide and would be nice to get it a bit slimmer.

cfeck
KDE Developer

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:50 pm
[quote='lzfy']
Bespin allows you to disable menu icons, did you think about adding this option to Skulpture?
[/quote]
Yes, the code is already there. But I need some more code reshuffling so that configuration actually reaches rendering code. Right now, only layout and setup of widgets can be customized. You will have to wait for a future version (not 0.2.x).

[quote='SeaJey']
ability to customize skulpture windeco - by now it is to wide and would be nice to get it a bit slimmer.
[/quote]
Try 0.2.1.3 snapshot, and tell me if this is what you ment.

Christoph Feck