This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Skulpture artwork (RFC)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cfeck
KDE Developer

Skulpture artwork (RFC)

Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:32 am
The latest Skulpture 0.1.9 snapshot adds new artwork for CheckBox and RadioButton widgets. The new design fixes minor inconsistencies between the two and adapts better to different sizes. The marks are cleaner and rendered with the correct foreground colors, making them better readable on dark color schemes. I would like to hear your opinion, so please try the snapshot and give feedback.

Christoph Feck
lzfy
Registered Member

RE: Skulpture artwork (RFC)

Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:57 am
cfeck wrote:The latest Skulpture 0.1.9 snapshot adds new artwork for CheckBox and RadioButton widgets. The new design fixes minor inconsistencies between the two and adapts better to different sizes. The marks are cleaner and rendered with the correct foreground colors, making them better readable on dark color schemes. I would like to hear your opinion, so please try the snapshot and give feedback.

Cool My favorite style is getting better :) Gonna test it tonight.

The only thing that I think can be improved are the tabs. Currently there is too much space between tabs which I think is unnecessary.

lzfy, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
SeaJey
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:26 pm
The only thing that I think can be improved are the tabs. Currently there is too much space between tabs which I think is unnecessary.

Agreeing.
Another issue - password characters when antialiasing is not enabled looks not that good.

kubuntu 10.04 AMD64 - KDE 4.4
AMD - radeonHD - M-Audio revolution 5.1
KFreak
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:29 pm
Skulpture is a very cool style. The only thing that I really don`t like is that the places-panel on the left side don`t match with the information-panel on the right side. The places-Panel should not have a white backgroundcolour, it should use the colours from the color scheme.

For the folders-panel the white background looks O.K, but places-panel looks so ugly "out of space", it simply does not fit.

Aside from this I like your style. It plays with oxygen in a league together.

KFreak, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
cfeck
KDE Developer

Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:08 pm
@lzfy: Agreed, the spacing looks not nice. I added the spacing between the tabs for the shadow effect and the tab enlargement to work. I will have to rewrite large parts to make it look any different. Not something I want to touch for the 0.2 version.

@SeaJey: The password character should be configurable. I hope to improve configuration with the 0.2 release.

@KFreak: The problem is that the places panel is an ItemView widget (which uses QPalette::Base color role, i.e. the usual white). It is actually KDE that makes it look out of place by setting the background to QPalette::Window role. Skulpture simply sets the original color role back.

One reason I did this is with the foreground (text) colors: As you can see in this screenshot, the Oxygen KDE style uses the wrong text color there.

Additionally, if the places panel fills with so many items that the scroll bar is required, it looks better when the scroll bar is inside the sunken frame. And having a sunken frame with shadows looks better with the view background instead of the window background.

The third reason is the selection (QPalette::Highlight) color: It is designed to be used against QPalette::Base. So as long as KDE uses an ItemView for the places panel, I fear that the coloring needs to be consistent with all other views.

But what about the new checkboxes? Keep the old, use the new, or improve them?

Christoph Feck
SeaJey
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:58 am
But what about the new checkboxes? Keep the old, use the new, or improve them?

M-m, new meens in what version?

Maybe some screenshots to compare and choose?

the Oxygen KDE style uses the wrong text color there

Well, compare to Skulpture I've found another color-related bug in Oxygen:
When dragging email in KMail from Inbox to another folder the target folder is not highlighting.

kubuntu 10.04 AMD64 - KDE 4.4
AMD - radeonHD - M-Audio revolution 5.1
cfeck
KDE Developer

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:15 pm
@SeaJey, the checkbox/radiobutton appearance changed in the 0.1.9.20 snapshot, just compare to 0.1.3 version with different color schemes or font sizes.

I don't like regressions except when they are improvements, but I am not sure if the changes make them look better. On the other hand, looking at the older version right now, I would say it has improved :)

Next change will be the progress bar, but still undecided if it should be animated or not.

Christoph Feck
jrick
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:06 pm
Wow, really nice theme. Reminds me of the days when I used the Bluecurve theme on Red Hat Linux 9.

The new checkboxes and radiobuttons look OK to me. My only issue is with the checkboxes in the menus; when the item is selected it looks fine, but when not, the text is "indented" and the unchecked checkbox only appears when you hover your mouse over it.

BTW, I like the animated progress bar. :-)

EDIT: Oh, and why are the icons in systemsettings so large?

Last edited by jrick on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Type Colemak!

Proud, Conservative Republican

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
--President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove
cfeck
KDE Developer

Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:59 pm
[quote='jrick']
The new checkboxes and radiobuttons look OK to me. My only issue is with the checkboxes in the menus; when the item is selected it looks fine, but when not, the text is "indented" and the unchecked checkbox only appears when you hover your mouse over it.
[/quote]
There was one problem with checkable menu items in Skulpture 0.1.3. When you selected it, the icon was no longer visible, because the icon column was used for the check indicator. For 0.2, I decided to try something different, as I had to rewrite the menu code anyway.

Would it be better if the unchecked indicators are also visible? My impression was that it looks a bit cluttered this way, but for consistency, they probably should be visible.

[quote='jrick']
Oh, and why are the icons in systemsettings so large?
[/quote]
Yeah sorry, I am experimenting with customizable icon sizes, in other words, I am trying to find out which parts of KDE or which KDE applications respect the styles icon size settings and which use hard coded sizes. Hard coded icon sizes are bad bad bad, imagine a 16 pixel icon on a 400 dpi screen... unrecognizable! And 16 pixel icons may even be too large with tiny fonts, forcing buttons or menu items to be unnecessary large.

Regarding the progress bar animation, is it too slow? Should speed depend on widget size as in 0.1.3?

Since I now have a blog, you can comment there, too.

Christoph Feck
jrick
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:40 pm
cfeck wrote:There was one problem with checkable menu items in Skulpture 0.1.3. When you selected it, the icon was no longer visible, because the icon column was used for the check indicator. For 0.2, I decided to try something different, as I had to rewrite the menu code anyway.

Would it be better if the unchecked indicators are also visible? My impression was that it looks a bit cluttered this way, but for consistency, they probably should be visible.

I think they should be visible. My first impression was that there was a bug which was causing some of the menu items to be "indented", until I rolled my mouse over it and realized what they were.

You could also try what Oxygen does, where the checkbox comes first, then the icon, and then the text. IIRC, this is how OS X does it also, but like Skulpture, unchecked items do not have a visible check box.

cfeck wrote:Regarding the progress bar animation, is it too slow? Should speed depend on widget size as in 0.1.3?

I've never used the 0.1.3 version, so I can't really compare them. But I really don't have any problems with the current version. It looks really classy.

cfeck wrote:Since I now have a blog, you can comment there, too.

I'll check it out.

Type Colemak!

KejPi
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:13 pm
Hi,
skulpture looks nice. I have two hints:
1) It would be fine to have some possibility to set thinner menu items like qtcurve can do. The default space between menu items is IMHO too big for big menu like bookmarks in konqueror
2) Would it be possible to do something with throbber? The menubar in Konqueror is too wide and eats too much space.

Thanks for this great theme. Currently it is probably the best for KDE4.

Regards,
Petr

KejPi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
cfeck
KDE Developer

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:55 am
[quote='KejPi']
1) It would be fine to have some possibility to set thinner menu items[...]
[/quote]
Yep, the code is already in place, it just needs a visible configuration option.

[quote='KejPi']
2) Would it be possible to do something with throbber? The menubar in Konqueror is too wide and eats too much space.
[/quote]
Skulpture 0.1.3 takes care of this and makes it smaller. It may be possible that it doesn't work correctly with the 0.1.9 snapshots, because I rewrote the whole layouting code. I am still using KDE 3, and will check for regressions later.

[quote='KejPi']
Thanks for this great theme. Currently it is probably the best for KDE4.
[/quote]
Thanks :) You can even make it better, just keep the suggestions coming.

Christoph Feck
cfeck
KDE Developer

Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:08 am
[quote='KejPi']
1) It would be fine to have some possibility to set thinner menu items [...]
2) Would it be possible to do something with throbber?
[/quote]
Please try version 0.1.9.26, both problems should be addressed {and a lot more ;) }

If this version does not have any problems, I will release it as 0.2.0, so please give feedback if something does not work.

Christoph Feck
jrick
Registered Member
OS

Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:39 pm
When I had .25 installed, I'm pretty sure I saw an option in the configuration for rounded buttons (but is was grayed out), but after the update to .26, I no longer see this option. Are there plans to make a rounded skulpture?

Type Colemak!

KejPi
Registered Member
OS

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:19 am
cfeck wrote:[quote='KejPi']
1) It would be fine to have some possibility to set thinner menu items [...]
2) Would it be possible to do something with throbber?

Please try version 0.1.9.26, both problems should be addressed {and a lot more ;) }

If this version does not have any problems, I will release it as 0.2.0, so please give feedback if something does not work.
[/quote]

I tested it briefly yesterday and wow, it looks great! Thank you!

Both points above are fixed :-)
But seem to me it it is too late to report anything now as you have already released 0.2.0 version ;-)

KejPi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.