This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Management of favourite applications [SOLVED]

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
susino
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

For a couple of weeks I updated to KDE4.10 (openSUSE 12.3) and I have a question about the KMenu (traditional form).

I'd like to self manage the "Favorites" in kickoff menu. So I begun deleting some items in kickoffrc (.kde4/share/config).
But I realized no change under kmenu / Favorites, also after a new log-in . I also noticed that the application icons in Favorites are automatically set, while I'd like to choose for myself, which software ikons should be there.

How could this be achieved?

I'll be appreciate every suggestion about.

Thanks,
susino

Last edited by susino on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
google01103
Manager
I think there's 2 ways:
1) if you find the actual item in the menu you can right click to remove an item and conversly right clicking can be used to add an item to Favorites
2) hand edit ~/.kde4/share/config/kickoffrc

if you switch to the Application Style Launcher you can more easily edit the favorites menu (including placement) then when it's to your liking swich back to Kmenu the changes should cary over

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

susino
Registered Member
OS
Hi google01103,

many thanks for your tip!

you wrote:
google01103 wrote:I think there's 2 ways:
1) if you find the actual item in the menu you can right click to remove an item and conversly right clicking can be used to add an item to Favorites
2) hand edit ~/.kde4/share/config/kickoffrc

if you switch to the Application Style Launcher you can more easily edit the favorites menu (including placement) then when it's to your liking swich back to Kmenu the changes should cary over

The 2nd way does not run on my computer. I tested it before posting the thread.
The 1st one runs but only in the new kickoff mode. Anyway, switching between the modes is more then easy ..

On the next I'll check, if the system puts new records n Favorites. If it doesn't, I'll set the thread as solved.

Thanks,
susino
google01103
Manager
hmm the editing of kickoffrc probably does not work because Kmenu (kickoff) or maybe KDE even is running

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
As Kickoff and the traditional menu both run as part of Plasma, they both likely save the list of favourite applications on exit - much like all other Plasma applets do. Therefore, if you want to edit the file by hand, you need to ask Plasma Desktop to quit first:
Code: Select all
kquitapp plasma-desktop

Once the above is run, Plasma Desktop should exit. To start it again, run this command:
Code: Select all
plasma-desktop

You can use KRunner to perform both commands - as well as to start applications (such as a text editor) once Plasma Desktop has exited.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
susino
Registered Member
OS
I've monitored the "Favorites" for a while and now it runs good, with one exception. One time almost all the records have been deleted, I suppose, because akonadi was "overworked".
By the way, I find the way akonadi works the worst development of KDE ... But that is another item.

bcooksley, many thanks for your suggestion! I'll use it the next time.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
At no point should Akonadi be able to impact the list of favourites (they are not stored in it in any fashion) - they should only ever be altered by Plasma Desktop.

One likely theory however is that the file was either corrupted, or that Plasma was forced to terminate (either by system failure, or crash) mid-way through writing changes to the file.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]