This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

cli command start screensaver

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
annoyingposter
Registered Member

Re: cli command start screensaver

Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:22 pm
thanks for your help? which of those suggestions are u thinking of? installing qtchooser?

and what are the consequences of not fixing this on my machine? its been like this for maybe 10 days now and i havent had a single problem with anything except for the command in the original post not working. everything is running supersmooth

edit: nevermind i installed qt4-default & libqt4-dev from the backports ppa, now the command in the original post works again, thanks for you help!
and i also found the command 'sleep 1 && xset dpms force off' somewhere that kinda does what i want, well, it turns off the screen, but that will do instead of starting screensaver without locking the screen which is what i really wanted.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:21 pm
I was referring to installing qt4-default, yes. Good to see it is now working again.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
annoyingposter
Registered Member

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:30 pm
im not sure why though, everything was working just fine (except that command), i wasnt missing qdbus, whatever it is, one bit
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:31 pm
qdbus is not an application which is used by any applications, it is usually only used by scripts or for development purposes. It is quite handy in this case, to interact with KDE to request certain actions be performed.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
annoyingposter
Registered Member

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:42 pm
i see, well all is good then, except the thing i really wanted - starting the screensaver/locker without the screen being locked - but turning off the screen ('sleep 1 && xset dpms force off') is a nice replacement - ive tried that command for years actually( minus the sleep part) and it never worked, i never thought of adding the sleep bit, which did the trick

thanks again