This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cannot Read Title of Window Well (With Transparency)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Wolfgange
Registered Member
OS
I recently enabled window transparency by compiling+installing the theme "Oxygen Transparent" I want a moderate amount of transparency on the windows, yet, when a window is behind anything other than really pastel colors, the title looks bad and is hard to read. Yets I realized certain applications such as Dolphin have a sort-of white shadow along the middle of the window decoration. So I was wondering the following:

1. Is there any way to enable the "White Shadow" on all applications?
2. If not, is there any way to change the color of the title font, but not the application text color (Because changing "Active TitleBar Text" does nothing, and changing "Window Text" changed both the title and application text color).

Below are two screenshots of Chrome and Dolphin.

Chrome (Whithout White):

Dolphin (With White):
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Have you checked the settings of the window decoration (in System Settings > Workspace Appearance > Window Decorations > Configure Decoration) to see if it offers anything to allow this?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Wolfgange
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Have you checked the settings of the window decoration (in System Settings > Workspace Appearance > Window Decorations > Configure Decoration) to see if it offers anything to allow this?

I have and no translucent theme that I've ever compiled/installed has had that option.

I got an answer from someone on Chakra (The OS I use). I'll post it below:

br10n wrote:Hi Wolfgange,
Regarding the 'white shadow' AFAIK it is already enabled but Chromium does not use it. I realise that you have selected 'Use Default Gtk Theme' in Chromium settings but this is as close as it get's as far as I know. As well, I don't think oxygen decorations ever used the 'active and inactive' window titles options.
If you only want a partially transparent window decoration then perhaps you could try a different theme? Alternatively, if you have a favourite emerald theme (of which many were transparent) you could still use these in KDE using smaragd.
You might also want to check that you have antialiasing enabled, System Settings > Application Appearance > Fonts and set hit to hint = slight.

And this is the post on Chakra's website.

This seems like a huge issue as it essentially detours the use of almost all translucent themes.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Does the decoration work correctly with applications other than Chromium? If it does, then it is quite likely a bug in Chromium not reporting the information the window decoration needs to operate correctly - something KDE can do nothing about. You'll have to ask them to fix it.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Wolfgange
Registered Member
OS
Actually, I recently found out that it was simply a matter of setting "Background Style" to Radial Gradient under:
Workspace Appearance > Window Decorations > Configure Decorations > Fine Tuning
Below is a screenshot.