This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

An odd suggestion: "the Mega Theme"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

An odd suggestion: "the Mega Theme"

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:52 pm
Ok so I've looked around and haven't found anything like this thing so I thought I might throw it out here - would a meta-theme function work? Like I have KDE (Mint in my case) running on both my laptop and my desktop. The installation was a breeze but then I spent about three hours changing everything to my liking. Details of it didn't work out (like different background on different panels) but I rolled with it. Then I had to reinstall the laptop and realized I had another three hours of it infront of me. Now it was a tad quicker since I could set ut up next to the desktop and just slowly click through every option in every field, download the same extensions and plasmoids, replace the same objects and set up the same colours and I thought: there should be a "mega theme".

One single theme setting which, when downloaded rearranged the entire desktop to the theme parameters, downloaded the same plasmoids and set everything up according to its predefined settings. After which the user can go in, change the tiny details and bits he or she don't like in the usuall manner. The megatheme would probably be one big honking edit and take a while and you'd have to do it for each distro. Like "here are the Mint 15 KDE Megathemes" on KDE-look or some place similar, you download and it completely rearrange your desktop to fit specific design choices made by whomever did it. It could work as a way for distros to set up a group of distro-specific design options and would work as an example of how flexible KDE Plasma is and considering one of the gripes some people (including me) have with KDE is that its "not fitting our personal aesthetic tastes" and even though this can be changed, a megatheme (I can't stop saying it and in my mind its like a voice over in Independence Day or something... "megatheme!") would make it ten times easier - just a click and a long wait.

... or have I missed that this is something that already exists?

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
I think this has been discussed a few times, and I can't really add anything to it, but when you want to keep or copy your KDE settings, you can just copy the .kde4 folder in your home directory to the new installation. This should also work across distributions. That folder contains all KDE-related settings, including theming, notification settings, shortcuts, ...

Cheers,
Sven

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please note that copying your ~/.kde4 directory usually only works if you are using the same or newer version of KDE on the new computer, otherwise compatibility issues could arise.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
But if someone would swap their ~/.kde4 folder for mine all of their settings would be replaced. Plus a "megatheme" could be controlled within the system settings as an upper tier before all the fiddly bits.

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
Yes, my suggestion was not meant as a replacement for your idea. I just wanted to give a tip on how you can make your system upgrades easier in the future.

Cheers,
Sven

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
luebking