This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Icons on desktop now stuck

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Icons on desktop now stuck

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:52 am
I have some icons on my desktop that are shortcuts for the programs I use the most.
I used to be able to drag them around, but now they are stuck.
Looked all over system settings but cannot see the right applet.
Right-click on desktop yields nothing either,
What can I do to get them to move again?
google01103
Manager

Re: Icons on desktop now stuck

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:08 am
is the problem only with app shortcuts or can widgets on the desktop move?

I assume widgets are not locked since you said you right clicked on desktop

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:16 pm
google01103 wrote:is the problem only with app shortcuts or can widgets on the desktop move?
I assume widgets are not locked since you said you right clicked on desktop

I cannot answer because I don't have widgets on the desktop, only app shortcuts.
I can right-click on desktop but locking or unlocking widgets has no bearing on shortcuts.
If you want me to test widgets please instruct me on how to drop one on desktop.
This never happened before, I can drag icon from menu to desktop, but it gets stuck where I drop it.
Thanks for answer.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:29 pm
Do you use the Folder View/Folder layout? If so, right click on the desktop -> "Folder settings..." (may be "Folder View settings..." or something like that) -> Icons -> make sure "Lock in place" is unchecked.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:59 pm
Hans wrote:Do you use the Folder View/Folder layout? If so, right click on the desktop -> "Folder settings..." (may be "Folder View settings..." or something like that) -> Icons -> make sure "Lock in place" is unchecked.

I don't see any Folder View or settings when right-clicking on desktop, the only meaningful things that I see are Default Desktop Settings and Shortcut Settings.
Under Default Desktop there is View and mouse actions, I could include a snapshot of mouse actions, but I don't see the option in this forum.
Shortcut settings, I see duplicated items: Remove this Activity, Run the Associated Application, and Shortcut Settings.
Thanks for answer.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:12 pm
Ok, so it seems you used the Default Desktop layout. If you hover over the icons, do you see a bar appearing with icons to resize, rotate, and remove? It should look something like this:

but yours is probably a different color.

If you want regular icons, you can try to switch to the Folder/Folder View layout in Default Desktop settings.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:11 pm
Hans wrote:If you want regular icons, you can try to switch to the Folder/Folder View layout in Default Desktop settings.

Ahh, I see what you mean now, and switched to Folder View, and then got new tab Display.
Icons are there and Lock in Place was always unchecked.
I unchecked all other options too, icons still stuck.
Let me tell you that I never used Folder View before and did not have this problem either.
I do see the bar upon hovering.
I really don't like Folder View because it plants folders from Home on the desktop, and I appreciate a clean desktop, because I look at it for several hours a day, so I returned to Default, at least for the moment.
Thanks for answer
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:44 pm
I would like to add something more.
I have four computers with the same setup: Debian testing + KDE, so I suppose that my KDE is the latest available in the testing repo.
There is a laptop with amd64 arch, 2 are old workstations with i386 arch, and there is an Acer Aspire netbook, which is of course 32-bit too.
Now, all of them have the same behaviour: stuck icons.
This happened after I upgraded all of them to testing and the latest KDE, so it is not just one computer with this pesky error.
Thank you.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:18 am
Have you tried pressing the X on the bar which displays on hovering to try to remove the "stuck" icons?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:05 pm
bcooksley wrote:Have you tried pressing the X on the bar which displays on hovering to try to remove the "stuck" icons?

Yes, problem is that icons disappear, but when I put them back they are locked as well.
There must be a bug somewhere, this behaviour shows on all 4 computers.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS

Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:20 pm
ckosloff wrote:
bcooksley wrote:Have you tried pressing the X on the bar which displays on hovering to try to remove the "stuck" icons?

Yes, problem is that icons disappear, but when I put them back they are locked as well.

And have you tried to move them by clicking on that black bar (that appears when you hover the mouse over them) and dragging them?
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Re: Icons on desktop now stuck  Topic is solved

Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:41 pm
wolfi323 wrote:
ckosloff wrote:

And have you tried to move them by clicking on that black bar (that appears when you hover the mouse over them) and dragging them?

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!