This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Different Wallpaper for each Virtual Desktop?

Tags: wallpaper, virtual desktop wallpaper, virtual desktop wallpaper, virtual desktop
(comma "," separated)
fakd
Registered Member
OS
Is it possible to set a different wallpaper for each desktop?

I looked in the kcm settings but there is only an option for "Different widgets for each Desktop" ...
metzman
Registered Member
OS
fakd wrote:I looked in the kcm settings but there is only an option for "Different widgets for each Desktop" ...

Assume that is the same as "System Settings => Workspace Behaviour => Virtual Desktops => Different widgets for each Desktop"
I'm fairly certain that also enables a different wallpaper.
fakd
Registered Member
OS
Well, it does work, but the transition is not so nice: wallpaper is reset and all my widgets, too. :(

Also now I have to fiddle with two widget sets, before I had one for all...
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
fakd wrote:Well, it does work, but the transition is not so nice: wallpaper is reset and all my widgets, too. :(

Also now I have to fiddle with two widget sets, before I had one for all...

The two are currently coupled - either shared wallpaper and shared widgets or separate wallpapers and separate widgets.
You might try submitting the feature request to allow separate wallpapers without separate widgets in the Brainstorm forum.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
snotknows
Registered Member
This is a feature Ive wondered about for some time....it is a pain to install and tweak many differant
Virtual Desktops widget wise and other tweaks when all you really want is a differant wallpaper on each.
I dont think its native to KDE but Im sure many would prefer such a feature. It also would supply much
less overhead.
MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
Although this is one year old, I hope I can revive it to add my own vote for the feature. I'd like the ability to use different wallpaper slideshows on each desktop, but without also using separate widgets. I believe "different widgets per desktop" and "different wallpaper per desktop" would be best as two settings.
luebking
It also would supply much less overhead.

Misconception.
Traditionally one would simply exchange the painted wallpaper with the VD, but that illusion breaks with "modern" features like desktop grid or cube effect or simply sliding between VDs (ie. anything that shows 2 or more VDs at once)

The plasma-desktop devs thus decided it would be required to have as many actual desktop windows as virtual desktops in order to allow different wallpapers.

Whether those have the same, similar or entirely different plasmoid sets makes no difference wrt resource usage.
gollbham
Registered Member
different wall papers for each screen this is an important feature. Of KDE5 is not going to incorporate that feature, then many users will go away. User participation gets reduced and more and newbies will come on-board.
Rog131
Registered Member
canoe
Registered Member
So it's been about a year and a half since this bug/regression was reported for Plasma 5.x. (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=341143)

Is there any hope for this feature being reimplemented sometime soon? Being visually impaired, the ability to distinguish between workspaces is much, much easier, when you have contrasting images. Without them, it's an additional layer of checking and verification to see which workspace I need to reference.

Any updates, either way, would be deeply appreciated.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Have you tried switching to using Activities instead of Virtual Desktops? It seems like Activities should fit what you want.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
canoe
Registered Member
airdrik wrote:Have you tried switching to using Activities instead of Virtual Desktops? It seems like Activities should fit what you want.

I have, and some key functionality works, but still needs further attention.