This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to differentiate active windows from inactive windows ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alecail
Registered Member
OS
I'm using KDE 4.11.1 straight from the latest KUbuntu 13.10. Nothing fancy installed, just the default theme (Oxygen)

I've been struggling to configure the look of the windows. I have 2 requirements

1/ I use a contemporary theme. Plastik is not exactly visually appealing
2/ The title bar changes its color when the window is inactive.

There is a settings in Application Appearance /Colors / Colors / (In)active titlebar
But this is not honored by recent Window decorations. At least the 50 or something I tried. Just Plastik uses it.

On the other hand, window decorations don't differentiate active windows from inactive ones. Or not very much.

I have found some settings in the desktop effects that seemed to do this. For example dim/fade the inactive windows. But these are eye candies. You can't use this to actually work on your desktop; this is just not practical, or disturbing.

So can somebody explain me why it is impossible to configure the color or tint the title bar of active and inactive windows ?

Has something changed in the way we use desktop environments that make this feature useless ?

Here is what I don't want:

1/ a blue glow around the active window. That's creepy. I changed it so that it looks more like a shadow.
2/ changing the color of the outline and a part of the title bar of the active window. I know it can be done, but it's not what I want. Besides, in Oxygen, it's changing the color of the active window only.
luebking
"kcmshell4 kwindecoration", pick oxygen, click "Configure Decoraton", select the "Fine Tuning" page, check "Outline active window title" - it should then follow the configured color like Plastik.

Alternatively use QtCurve, Skulpture or Bespin.

The vast majority of decoration you get from kde-look.org (and _every_ decoration you can install from the dialog) are themes for Aurorae (or Smaragd or Dekorator) - and those usually have a hardcoded look.
TimSmall
Registered Member
This works but I feel that "Outline active window title" is an un-intuitive label for this setting - "Change window title bar appearance when active" might be better?