This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Setting default font for rendering a specific language?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
JantarMantar
Registered Member
Hi,

My KDE system (Chakra KDE 4.11) is set to U.S. English as my preferred language pack and I am not looking to change that. I do occasionally receive or send an email or document that uses a language other than English. I do have a bunch of fonts installed for a specific language. Unfortunately, KDE uses a font which in some cases doesn't render text quite correctly and is just ugly looking in general.

My question is, how does KDE decide which font to use when it encounters unicode text and the default system fonts don't support that language specific characters? Applications such as LibreOffice that do allow use of specific font, do look nice once I use the font I know is rendered correctly; but for other applications, I am guessing KDE must select a font when an application encounters Unicode text. How do I make KDE select font for a language that is not system default?

Thanks

JantarMantar, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
JantarMantar
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:You might want to take a look at http://askubuntu.com/questions/13708/ho ... -languages

Thank you. That link was really helpful. I guess I was a little a bit off in thinking KDE managed the font rendering, but now I think it's probably X that handles the font rendering. Anyhow, based on your reference I researched a little bit more and I was able to find and modify an entry in /etc/fonts/conf.d/ to make system-wide change.

JantarMantar, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.