This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to Reset Kickoff Application Launcher Icons?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jasn
Registered Member
OS
For some reason the Application Icon in my Kickoff Application Launcher got changed to generic purple diamond box icon, instead of the default Applications Icon. Even new launchers have the Application Icon as the purple box icon. Is there a simple way, (or prefs file I can delete), to reset the icons in my Kickoff Application Launcher?

Thanks..
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
jasn wrote:For some reason the Application Icon in my Kickoff Application Launcher got changed to generic purple diamond box icon, instead of the default Applications Icon. Even new launchers have the Application Icon as the purple box icon. Is there a simple way, (or prefs file I can delete), to reset the icons in my Kickoff Application Launcher?

Right-click on it, select "Settings" and click on the icon to change it to whatever you like.

Or remove/edit the plasma configuration: ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc (or maybe ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc)
This contains all your plasma applets though, if you remove it you will get a default desktop again.
luebking
jasn
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the replies. However I wasn't able to reset the Kickoff Application Launcher icons using these methods. This is what the Application Icon currently looks like;

1) Trying to change the Applications icon using a right click -> settings option only gives the option to change the kickoff K icon, not the individual menu icons, (Favorites, Applications, Computer, Recently Used, Leave).

2) Removing both ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc and ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktoprc only changed the wallpaper and bottom bar panel to their default settings, but it didn't affect the Kickoff Application Launcher icons.

3) Removing my ~/.local directory didn't affect the Kickoff Application Launcher Icons either. (I opened a terminal window, mv .local to .local.backup, and then rebooted)

I even tried deleting ~/.kde4/share/config/kickoffrc but it only reset my favorites and cleared the recently used queue of the Kickoff Application Launcher. It didn't affect the menu icons.
luebking
check /usr/share/icons/oxygen/*/categories on whether something has simply overridden applications-other.png

If not, you'll have to find the file on your disk (/usr/local/share/icons/...?)
If you're lucky, you can use nepomuk or mlocate ("locate applications-other.png") for this.

One of the results will be the purple icon...
jasn
Registered Member
OS
Thanks again. There are two types of applications-other.png icons on my system. There is;

/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/applications-other.png

which is the "Applications" applications other icon, (the purple diamond box). All of the other applications-other.png icons on my system are the correct "Categories" applications icon, (the CD in front of the KDE Software box), and they are;

/usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/gnome/24x24/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/nuvola/128x128/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/nuvola/16x16/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/nuvola/22x22/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/nuvola/32x32/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/nuvola/48x48/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/nuvola/64x64/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/oxygen/128x128/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/oxygen/16x16/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/oxygen/22x22/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/oxygen/256x256/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/oxygen/32x32/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/oxygen/48x48/categories/applications-other.png
/usr/share/icons/oxygen/64x64/categories/applications-other.png

So for some unknown configuration reason my Kickoff Launcher Application icon is picking up the Applications applications-other.png icon, and not the Categories applications-other.png icon. BTW, the Kickoff Launcher Application icon remains the Applications applications-other.png, purple box icon, even if I change icon themes back and forth.
google01103
Manager
That strange icon is provided by the package exo-tools which is used by the XFCE4 desktop

Do you have XFCE4 installed?

I experience the same and to fix it and I'm not sure this is a good thing I renamed the icon and then:
- stopped plasma-desktop
- cleared my user caches (in /var/tmp and /tmp)
- ran: kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental 2> /dev/null
- restarted plasma-desktop and the desired icon displays
--- maybe more steps then needed but it did work for me
--- this is not permanent as an upgrade to exo-tools will bring the icon back

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

luebking
apps < categories

I assume that KIconLoader finds the icon in apps, assumes this is the wanted one, determines that there's no oxygen variant and returns the hicolor (which serves as general fallback) instead of the oxygen (or any other) variant.

This *could* be a bug in KIconLoader as one could expect it to know the proper path for standard icon names and prefers that, but otoh a fixed name list would quite bloat the code (and be rather inflexible) *shrug*

The hicolor installation (apparently provided by xfce) is broken:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-n ... atest.html
It belongs into categories.

You might file a bug against kdelibs/kiconloader, but if the responsible maintainer argues "this is stupid, icons should just be installed correctly", i'd rather not take your side ;-P

=> For a fix, get rid of that icon (moving it to the correct location might get you a package conflict when fixed upstream!) and file a bug against whatever provides it (exo-tools, i can confirm that the installation path is wrong for Archlinux, it's thus likely an upstream issue)
jasn
Registered Member
OS
Thanks to both of you for the help.

Yes in fact I do have XFCE4 installed, and it now makes sense that this problem appeared about the time I added it to my system, (funny as a backup in case I couldn't get my KDE desktop up). Anyway, it's about time for my periodic clean install, and when I do, I will make sure to leave XFCE4 out. (I don't in fact use it anyway).

Thanks again.
badbodh
Registered Member
Year 2015. hicolor theme still has this bug.
Running
Code: Select all
mv /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/applications-other.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/categories
as root did the job. All my xfce apps (dictionary and parole) are intact.

I hope our grand children are able to fix this 'bug' someday.
nonamemcgee
Registered Member
2016 - Debian 8. Thanks guys this thread helped me out today.