This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How do you manually change your icon theme?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dcell
Registered Member
OS
How would one go about manually changing your icon theme? I've changed the Theme variable in kdeglobals, but don't know what else to do.

Is there perhaps a dbus command you can run?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you logout and back in, or newly start a KDE application, is the icon theme change applied?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
dcell
Registered Member
OS
When I start a new application, the icon theme isn't changed at all, however when I log back out and back in, it changes about a third of the icons.

I've noticed when you change the icons in system settings it bring up a progress bar saying "Updating system configuration" so I assume after manually editing the kdeglobals there's a few commands that need to be ran or something needs to be restarted to apply this. However just restarting plasma-desktop doesn't quite do it.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I've checked the code in question and can't see anything that would have anything but an initial runtime effect - restarting applications should result in the new theme being fully applied.

The only part which is potentially relevant is the clearing of the "pixmap cache" although i'm not sure if this is referring to the "icon-cache.kcache" file at /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/ or not. Does removing that file allow your manual change to complete after an application restart?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
dcell
Registered Member
OS
That worked perfectly! Thank you very much, I would've never thought to do that ^-^.