This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Losing all my settings when monitor unplugged

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Dev Null
Registered Member
Hi All,

I'm running KDE under kubuntu 13.10 - the platform version seems to be 4.11.2. I'm running it on a laptop, using the built-in screen and 3 external monitors. After some initial faffing around getting the right drivers, everything seemed to be working fine, and I got all of my panels and widgets carefully arranged how I liked them.

Then I unplugged a monitor.

All of the panels from ALL of the screens went and hid in a corner of one remaining screen, on top of each other, with the widgets reverting to default (and useless) settings. And the screens rearranged their relative locations. This is... sub-optimal.

Fortunately, I'd backed up my plasma-desktoprc and plasma-desktop-appletsrc files, so plugging the monitor back in and restoring those files manually has put everything back where it should be. But I wondered if anyone knew of a way to get it to maintain the settings for the remaining screens when one gets unplugged? I need to occasionally swap one over to another device, and its a pain to deal with it being broken, and then have to manually restore it, after every time this comes up.

Thanks for any advice,
luebking