This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Im completely lost

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alejandropino
Registered Member

Im completely lost

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:40 am
Hi, im new here, I have tried to found a right subforum for this post but I dont find any so i will write this here, I hope im not doing anything bad.

I got started with kde a few months back but I still have several problems, for example I tried to install some themes (in this case a theme called 'caledonia') and it includided some instructions, wich included extracting some files to: ~/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme but I cant find .kde4 folder anywhere, I have kde 4.11.3.
There was another way to install the theme that was extracting it to: /usr/share/apps/desktoptheme directory but when I go there I dont find any folder called desktoptheme and I cant create one.

I KNOW this is totally noob and all but if someone could help me I would be very thankful, I really like KDE but im really stuck.
google01103
Manager

Re: Im completely lost

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:29 pm
Different distributions place the user's KDE files in different folders, either ~/.kde or ~/.kde4. The location of your's can be displayed by running the command: echo $KDEHOME . The same may be with the the desktoptheme folder, not knowing what you use so can't tell you where it might be

You will be best served by using the "get new themes" button in systemsettings -> workspace appearance -> desktop theme, to add new themes and Caledonia is available using this method

ps - it helps if you include the distribution you are running and the version of KDE when posting

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

google01103
Manager

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:22 pm
moved to Appearance and System Customization

alejandropino
Registered Member

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:38 pm
google01103 wrote:Different distributions place the user's KDE files in different folders, either ~/.kde or ~/.kde4. The location of your's can be displayed by running the command: echo $KDEHOME . The same may be with the the desktoptheme folder, not knowing what you use so can't tell you where it might be

You will be best served by using the "get new themes" button in systemsettings -> workspace appearance -> desktop theme, to add new themes and Caledonia is available using this method

ps - it helps if you include the distribution you are running and the version of KDE when posting

Well i dont have either of those folders, .kde or .kde4 (pic below) and when I run the command echo $KDEHOME I get a blank space
I knew that thing about "get new themes" but when i try to install caledonia that way it just downloads a .tar.gz file, that only happened with caledonia, the rest of themes installed correctly doing that.

my root directory

I have kubuntu kde 4.11.3

Again thanks for the help
google01103
Manager

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:58 pm
you are correct the "get new themes" does not work for Caledonia - no idea why

what is
Code: Select all
printenv | grep -i kde

and what is
 ls -d ~/.* | grep -i kde

alejandropino
Registered Member

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:04 pm
The printenv | grep -i kde code returns this:
KDE_MULTIHEAD=false
GTK2_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:/home/alejandro/.gtkrc-2.0:/home/alejandro/.kde/share/config/gtkrc-2.0
GTK_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/alejandro/.gtkrc:/home/alejandro/.kde/share/config/gtkrc
KDE_FULL_SESSION=true
DEFAULTS_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/kde-plasma.default.path
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-kde-plasma:/etc/xdg
DESKTOP_SESSION=kde-plasma
KDE_SESSION_UID=1000
MANDATORY_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/kde-plasma.mandatory.path
GDMSESSION=kde-plasma
KDE_SESSION_VERSION=4
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share:/usr/share/kde-plasma:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/
QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/home/alejandro/.kde/lib/kde4/plugins/:/usr/lib/kde4/plugins/
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE
XAUTHORITY=/tmp/kde-alejandro/xauth-1000-_0

The ls -d ~/.* | grep -i kde code returns this:
 kde
/home/alejandro/.kde
google01103
Manager

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:15 pm
you're not seeing ~/.kde in Dolphin because you haven't enabled it to display hidden folders (files whose names are preceeded with a "." which are not displayed by default), use alt+. to toggle this or view -> show hidden files

google01103
Manager

Re: Im completely lost  Topic is solved

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:21 pm

alejandropino
Registered Member

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:24 pm
OK I feel stupid now, the thing is my .kde folder wasnt in ~ instead it was in /home/myname/ so even though I had the "display hidden folders" option checked in the root folder I didnt had it for the /home/myname folder.

Again thanks for everything :)
google01103
Manager

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:40 pm
~/ is a represenation of your home folder

try:
 echo ~/

and
 ls ~/

luebking

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:21 pm
No idea what's supposed to set KDEHOME, but it's not here either.
The reliable way is "kde4-config --localprefix"

I also suggest to just symlink ~/.kde and ~/.kde4 - can spare you trouble with scripted artwork installations (with hardcoded paths) etc.