This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

URLs in "Recently Used Documents"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
eddiej
Registered Member

URLs in "Recently Used Documents"

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:46 am
Hi, I hope this is the correct place to post this.

I recently installed the KDE blend of Linux Mint 16, which has KDE 4.11.5. There's a new behavior. In the "recently used douments" part of the menu, along with my local documents, it is displaying URLs of links I have received in email. I don't remember them being displayed in earlier versions, and I'd like not to see them. I cannot find any options to turn that off or on.

I use the Classic menu, though when I switched to Kickoff I saw the URLs there as well. If it's of any interest, I use Claws Mail.

Thank you for any suggestions.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: URLs in "Recently Used Documents"

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:40 am
As far as I am aware, there is no integration between KDE and Claws Mail. Does right clicking on one of these items offer an option to clear the list?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
eddiej
Registered Member

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:56 pm
Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. I am beginning to suspect that some obscure setting in Firefox has turned this on, but I can't find it in the forests of about:config. I'm sure you're right about nothing in Claws Mail talking to anything in the KDE desktop -- though they work very well together.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:30 am
Just out of interest - when you trigger the urls in Claws, is there a slight delay (perhaps followed by a KDE dialog indicating it is probing/discovering/retrieving something) before the link is opened in Firefox?

KDE Sysadmin
eddiej
Registered Member
No, I've never seen anything like that. Firefox opens in a background window and I don't always know it's there, but I'm sure it doesn't take much (if any) longer than if I was opening it from the menu. I've never seen a dialog box or any messages from KDE.

I installed Kubuntu 14.04 on another machine last night, and I notice the same behavior: email links are in the recent documents. Kubuntu 14.04 (which is wonderful, btw) has KDE 4.13, which is a newer version than what is in the Linux Mint 16 where I first saw this behavior.

Thanks.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
In System Settings > Default Applications > Web Browser, what is selected?

KDE Sysadmin
eddiej
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:In System Settings > Default Applications > Web Browser, what is selected?

In Linux Mint 16, it said "in an application based on the contents of the URL". I just changed that to Firefox, and URLs appeared in the Recent Documents, just as before. In Kubuntu 14.04, it was Firefox.

Thanks.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri May 02, 2014 11:13 pm
Okay, I suspected it was the "Contents of the URL" selection which could have been allowing for this. Unfortunately I don't know why this is occurring unfortunately.

If you have no use for the recently used documents functionality, you can prevent it from functioning fairly easily though. In ~/..kde4/share/apps/ you will find a folder "RecentDocuments". If you revoke the read and write permissions to this directory, then this will in effect disable the recently used documents functionality fully.

KDE Sysadmin
eddiej
Registered Member
Just for kicks, I opened ~/..kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments in Dolphin and found two unidentifiable *.desktop files in there. One turned out to be a .pdf newsletter that a local library sends me a link to by email. One was called eal.grp, which turned out to be a truncated version of an impressively long URL on meetup.com.

Anyway, I appreciate your time looking at this, and it's more of a curiosity than a show-stopper. Probably it's a byproduct of some code that made another part of the desktop work better.

Thanks!