This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problem with Themes

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
robinh
Registered Member
OS

Problem with Themes

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:37 pm
I've just started using KDE and I have to admit that my system may be a little screwed up because I switched from Linux Mint Debian Edition with MATE to KDE based on Debian Testing repositories. But all is going quite fine except for my themes.
I've found countless guides about how to make GTK apps look good and I've managed that easily with oxygen-gtk engune. Problem is that now even native KDE apps like Dolphin and System Setting use the GTK theme! Of course it gets screwed up. I've confirmed it by launching Dolphin from Terminal.
Simple dolphin command launches it ugly.
dolphin -style=oxygen makes it look as it should
dolphin -style=oxygen-gtk makes it look same as without the command

So the problem is in the default theme the apps choose. Any idea how to make Oxygen default and permanent? Of course I have it set in system settings. When I apply it, all running apps switch to it. But next time I run Dolphin is uses ugly GTK theme again.

Thanks for help in advance!
luebking

Re: Problem with Themes

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:42 pm
run "kcmshell4 style", select he style you want (is likely gtk+ atm.) and hit "apply" - call back if that doesn't work.
robinh
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:20 pm
luebking wrote:run "kcmshell4 style", select he style you want (is likely gtk+ atm.) and hit "apply" - call back if that doesn't work.

Nope, there is Oxygen. Yet still some apps don't use it. There must be some other settings overriding it.
luebking

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:23 pm
try "qtconfig" or "qtconfig-qt4", though iirc the style kcm should align that.

what's the output of

env | grep -iE '(desk|kde|gnome|xfce|lxde|gtk)'
robinh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Problem with Themes  Topic is solved

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:44 pm
luebking wrote:try "qtconfig" or "qtconfig-qt4", though iirc the style kcm should align that.

what's the output of

env | grep -iE '(desk|kde|gnome|xfce|lxde|gtk)'

Aaaahhhh. That was it. The GTK+ setting was under qtconfig-qt4. How the hell is one to find it? It's not in system settings, is it?

Thanks for help. My headache is gone. ;D
luebking

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:15 pm
you're not - qtconfig is provided by Qt, but on KDE and esp. KDE applications (like dolphin) the systemsettings should take precendence.
I assume the config was written by, or while running, Mate (to integrate there - though Qt *should* simply pick up the desktop environment) and not updated since you likely never changed the style in systemsettings.
But why dolphin(?) would have used that setting over the Qt one: no idea, sorry. *shrug*
robinh
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:40 pm
luebking wrote:you're not - qtconfig is provided by Qt, but on KDE and esp. KDE applications (like dolphin) the systemsettings should take precendence.
I assume the config was written by, or while running, Mate (to integrate there - though Qt *should* simply pick up the desktop environment) and not updated since you likely never changed the style in systemsettings.
But why dolphin(?) would have used that setting over the Qt one: no idea, sorry. *shrug*

Indeed, several apps like Dolphin, the system settings manager and some widgets picked up on the Qt settings instead of the general system settings.
Never mind. Problem solved.