This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Fonts in non-KDE applications on KDE 4.12.3

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
north
Registered Member
OS
Hello. I have so far been unable to find a solution to this issue and hope someone can help.

Non-KDE applications display fonts which are much smaller than the font set in the configuration tool ( 12 points ). Examples are the distro's utility for configuring various system settings, the Synaptic Package Manager and an IDE editor (text).

I was able to change the font size in Synaptic using its preferences. The same change in the IDE editor made no difference.

I have installed kde-gtk-config and the settings for root and user are both set to 12 points in the new GTK section of Configure My Desktop (both user and root).

I have booted the system a few times since making the changes mentioned and the problems persist.

Last edited by north on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Which IDE editor are you referring to? Also, are all the applications in question Gtk applications, or are they Java based, etc (and therefore using different settings again)?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
north
Registered Member
OS
Thanks again. The IDE is Geany. So far I have been able to ascertain the basis of the affected applications as follows :

bleachbit : python and pygtk2
geany : GTK2
PCLinuxOS live usb creator : bash script
PCL Control Center : perl-GTK2
Synaptic : GTK+

bcooksley wrote:Which IDE editor are you referring to? Also, are all the applications in question Gtk applications, or are they Java based, etc (and therefore using different settings again)?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you try editing ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and ~/.gtkrc-3.0 manually, to verify that the appropriate settings are present in those files? (There should be some indication of font size and theme/style to be used)

Example:
Code: Select all
style "user-font"
{
        font_name="Sans Serif 9"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"
gtk-font-name="Sans Serif 9"

KDE Sysadmin
north
Registered Member
OS
Thanks. The only files I have with 'gtkrc' in the name are ~/.kde4/share/config/gtkrc and ~/.kde4/share/config/gtkrc-2.0.

Both files relate only to colours but I have added that code and will try the system tomorrow.
north
Registered Member
OS
Hello again. Those changes had no effect so I have restored the original files.

I am thinking of installing oxygen-gtk and perhaps gtk-kde4. Both require the removal of the GTK Oxygen Molecule theme and, from memory, kde-gtk-config.

The descriptions in Synaptic of the first two packages mentioned are :

oxygen-gtk A port of the default KDE widget theme (Oxygen) to gtk2
It's primary goal is to ensure visual consistency between gtk and qt-based applications running under kde. A secondary objective is to also have a stand-alone nice looking gtk theme that would behave well on other Desktop Environments.

gtk-kde4 Allow GTK to use KDE4 widget styles
This app give you ability to change appearance of GTK applications in KDE4. For this purpose you may use GTK stuff, or your current KDE stuff: widget styles, icons and fonts. GTK-KDE4 can help you unify Qt and GTK+ apps appearance. More info and installation instructions can be found in Readme files inside archives.

What do think of that idea ?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please note that when you remove kde-gtk-config you should also check ~/.kde4/env/ to ensure all traces of it are removed from the system - simply removing the module won't suffice, as the configuration changes it makes will remain.

Installing Oxygen Gtk however could prove helpful - although i'm not sure how much influence it has over Fonts. I would suggest removing kde-gtk-config first.

KDE Sysadmin
north
Registered Member
OS
Many thanks. I used Synaptic to "completely remove" kde-gtk-config. After that I checked ~ and found no folder or file with 'env' in the name.

I subsequently installed oxygen-gtk and re-booted. Fonts are correct now in the applications I mentioned except for the script PCLinuxOS live usb creator. I can live with that so I will mark this thread solved.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Good to hear that Oxygen Gtk has solved the problem - thanks for posting the confirmation that it solved the issue.

KDE Sysadmin