This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Disable Window Preview (not Tooltips) from Task Manager

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
soldier9599
Registered Member
Every time I hover my mouse over an icon in my icon only task manager, I not only see a tooltip (which I like), but my current window is made almost completely transparent and the window for the icon I hover over covers the screen. Here are example screenshots:

Not Hovering:

While Hovering:

I am sure many people like this feature, but personally I consider it to be disorienting. I would like to keep the tooltip as you see on the bottom left, but I would like to avoid the window popping up in my display and fading my other windows. Somehow, I cannot find a way to disable this feature; it appears I can only disable the tooltip. Is there any way to adjust the settings for my desired behavior? Alternatively--if this is not possible--I would be alright with making some change that disables both the tooltip and the preview, but not if I have to sacrifice the icons only task manager.
luebking
rightclick the taskbar, choose "task manager settings", and uncheck "Highlight Windows"
soldier9599
Registered Member
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I should have clarified that I am looking specifically for this fix in the widget as depicted above: Icon-Only Task Manager. This task manager actually has much more extensive settings than the old style task manager. Unfortunately, I do not see any option called "Highlight Windows" for the icon manager. Only if I go into the original style task manager do I see this setting, and it is in fact already disabled for that one. If you know of a way that the original style task manager can be configured to look the way mine does in the pictures above, please let me know.

EDIT: After digging through system settings I finally found the answer. It isn't in settings for the task manager, but it is in system settings which I assume sets a global rule. Under Workspace Appearance and Behavior in System Settings I went into Desktop Effects, then the All Effects tab. I scrolled down to the Appearance group and unchecked Highlight Windows. Problem solved!
luebking
be aware that the effect might is invoked from other places (at least the tabbox, ie. alt+tab)
you might want ti file a wish against the icontasks plasmoid reg. this setting.