This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Keyboard Special Characters:

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
staustelladam
Registered Member

Keyboard Special Characters:

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:29 am
Hi,

After a recent migration from WinXP to Ubuntu 14.04, and the installation of KDE, I am having some keyboard problems, specifically relating to special non-alphanumeric characters.

Logging into a sesion as Ubuntu I am able to enter things like @ and # on my keyboard, which are the symbols actualy shown on the keys, but loging in as KDE session they come up as " and \ respectively. It isn't just these two symbols but these are the ones I use most frequently.

I have looked at keyboard settings but I can't find anywhere that I can change these settings. I remember on install I was able to enter some type so that the install could identify my specific keyboard layout.

If it helps I am using an Acer Extensa 5230E laptop.

Thanks,
Adam.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS

Re: Keyboard Special Characters:  Topic is solved

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:37 am
staustelladam wrote:I have looked at keyboard settings but I can't find anywhere that I can change these settings. I remember on install I was able to enter some type so that the install could identify my specific keyboard layout.

Have a look in Systemsettings->Input Devices->Keyboard->Layouts.
Probably you have set a wrong keyboard layout there.

Either remove it and/or add/move the correct one to the top, or disable "Configure Layouts" alltogether. Then the system's default should be used.
staustelladam
Registered Member

Re: Keyboard Special Characters:

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:45 am
Hiya,

Thanks for that - a simple cure and al sorted now. :D

Thanks,
Adam.