This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Tweaking task manager

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sgage
Registered Member

Tweaking task manager

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
I am fairly new to KDE, and I'm becoming quite comfortable with it. There is one small issue that will probably seem trivial to most, and is not exactly a show-stopper for me.

When windows are minimized, their tabs or buttons in the task manager are dimmed, which is fine. However, their icons go monochrome, lose their color. When you have a lot of minimized windows, they all look the same at a glance, and you have to really read the text. When the color is there, even dimmed it's really easy to pick them out. Is there any way to let the icons retain their color when the window is minimized? Like I said, it's not a show-stopper, but I must (alas) dual boot with Windows 7, and it actually is a usability issue.

TIA for any tips/workarounds/etc.
google01103
Manager

Re: Tweaking task manager

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:57 pm
iirc if you use a different task manager such as smooth or fancy or maybe icon-only you won't see the change to monochrome but you won't see the app name either (again iirc)

you might also try a different plasma theme (in the detail tab you should be able to change the theme for just tasks)

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

gregormi
Registered Member
OS

Re: Tweaking task manager

Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:24 pm
The dimmed icon issue was also raised in this bug report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=311991

@google01103: Clearly, the user can change the theme or the taskmanager by himself. But what speaks against making sure that the default theme and the default task manager has no dimming effect in the first place. That would be one problem less for novice users.