This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Conflict between Blender 3D and KDE: KDE ignore my settings

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
thisistylerdurden
Registered Member
Hello,

(First, excuse me if ever my english was bad but that's not my usual langage.)

I'm trying to disable the Alt+click shorcuts of KDE 4.8.4 / Plasma 5.77 (for displace window) because of a conflict with Blender 3D shortcut. I've tried to follow this wikibooks instructions:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Operating_System_specific_notes

1) Right click on the title bar of the main Blender window → select Configure Window Behavior → go to Actions → Window Actions → in the Inner Window, Titlebar and Frame section → select the Modifier key to be ALT and set all the select boxes beneath it to Nothing.

2) Right click on the title bar of the main Blender window; then select Advanced → Special Application Settings... → Workarounds and then click Block global shortcuts with Force selected and checked.

My first obstacle is that the menu immediately disappear when I right click on the title bar of any window >:( . But I guess that passed by the System Settings is the same, so:

First Method : I find "Window Behavior">"window Actions">"Inner Window, Titlebar and Frame":
I tried once by changing "Alt" by "Meta" and once by keeping "Alt" and set all buttons actions to 'nothing', I've tried that in usual and root mode without any effect! :-\

Second Method : the search engine of system settings give me no response for "Advanced" or "Special Application Settings". for "Workarounds", I redirect to "Window Behavior">"Window Rules">"modify" or "new" >"Appearence & fixes">"Ignore Global Shortcuts"> "forced" & "yes". One more time, I've try it in usual and root mode without success! :-\

So, do someone can explain me why KDE ignore my setting and how I can fixe this?

(I'm on Debian 7.6 with 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.60-1+deb7u1 x86_64 GNU/Linux core)
luebking
1) Please ensure you're actually running KWin and not compiz or sth.
Code: Select all
ps ax | grep kwin

2) Do everything you want to do as the user you usually run KDE (and blender) under. Operating as root or any other user is pointless in this context.
thisistylerdurden
Registered Member
thanks for answering

Visibly, I use Kwin (kde-window-manager version 4.8.4-6) :
Code: Select all
ps ax | grep kwin
20517 pts/3    S+     0:00 grep kwin
luebking
no, you don't. the only match is the grep parameter.
check the configured window manager in the "kcmshell4 componentchooser" dialog (that's a command to run a config module directly)
thisistylerdurden
Registered Member
OK! My window manager is Metacity and I don't find his settings, but if I switch for KWIN, all work fine even if I'm not realy fan of this manager! Thank you a lot for that!

Just to be sure: Is there any chance to fixe my problem without changing Metacity for Kwin?
luebking
Not sure what your problems are about kwin, but IIRC metacity interpreted the gnome settings, which can be edited via "dconf-editor".
No idea whether this still holds as of today.
thisistylerdurden
Registered Member
OK! I've find what I'm searching for in dconf and all work fine with Metacity now. If that interrest someone, the setting to change is here: org>gnome>desktop>wm>preference>mouse-button-modifier !
Thank you all!