This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Custom shortcut - input from keyboard

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
msuchy
Registered Member
Hi,
I want to create custom shortcut Alt+V, which when pressed would post "@" as input from keyboard. It is for my wife, she is used to this shortcut from Windows.
I created this shortcut in Systems Settings->Custom shortcuts.
But the problem is that rule "@" will simulate pressing number 2. Which will print "ě", because she use Czech keyboard. There is no symbol "@" on Czech keyboard.
I even tried to use rule
Ctrl+Shift+K:Shift+2:Ctrl+Shift+K
which would switch keyboard layout to next (us), print @, and switch keyboard layout to next (cz). Unfortunatelly that does not work :(

Here goes my question: how can I simulate input from keyboard for character, which is not in currently used layout? By defining custom shortcut.
I am aware how to make it using xkb, but I want to see some solution, which I can present to my wife, who can not handle command line and vi.
luebking
I really don't follow your thoughts.

If you want an additional key, there're two reasonable ways to do this:

a) xkb
b) xmodmap

attempting a global shortcut (which will fail whenever the keyboard is grabbed by a client) to operate on synthetic events (that are meanwhile ignored by a good portion of applications - that KDE feature became less useful over the time) is a really crazy idea ;-)

If btw. Wikipedia isn't wrong, "@" should be AltGr+V (*not* Alt+V, AltGr is right of Shift) on Czech keyboards.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I would suggest trying xdotool if you still want to attempt this.
Other alternatives are listed at http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-658040.html

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]