This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE device notifier fails on loop device mounting

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
markwolf
Registered Member
Hi,

for me, KDE's device notifier produces issues when mounting image files (*.iso, *.img, ...). If these are issues of KDE's device notifier only, I have no clue. I'm running KDE version 4.11.5 on openSUSE 13.1:

1) When I mount any image with
Code: Select all
mount -o loop,ro any.iso mountpoint
from a terminal, KDE's device notifier will pop up from the system tray with an error message
Could not mount the following device: Loop Device

2) Irrespective of this message however, the image is mountet. Before issuing the mount command I have
losetup -a
losetup -f
/dev/loop0
after the mount command I get
losetup -a
/dev/loop0: [2051]:532740 (/somewhere/any.iso)
losetup -f
/dev/loop1
and I can access all files of the image, both from the terminal and with any KDE application.

3) While I mount/unmount, the list of Removable Devices in the Device Notifier Settings, shows strange behavior. If I keep this window open, each additional mount/unmount command will lead to one additional loop device displayed even though the Device Notifier complains about not being able to mount the loop device. Once I close/reopen the Removable Devices window some of the loop devices will have 'disappeared'.
(While I have no idea if this is related to my question: In addition to the several loop devices the Removable Devices window reports while I mount/unmount the image file, the Removable Devices window also shows two additional loop devices UDI: /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/loop0 and one more for loop1. I have no idea what these are. In fact, they are never shown by losetup -a)

4) Needless to say, that I have an 'old' machine running KDE 4.6.00 and openSUSE 11.4. There, none of all this happens.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Mark
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
In regards to #1: It sounds like UDisks might be trying to handle the loop devices - something it is not equipped to do.

This is supported by #3: Can you try running "udisks --monitor" while mounting/unmounting loop devices as you usually do to reproduce the behaviour, and post the output here?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]