This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

GTK integration

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
drengot
Registered Member

GTK integration

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:56 am
I'm a former Gnome user and since I tried KDE I grew to really like it, although I have to face more issues/bugs than I would have expected.

One thing that I find really hard to understand is GTK integration. This is what I see when running systemsettings as a normal user:

and this is for kdesu systemsettings (root):

And yet I'm using the same qtcurve, same color scheme, using "numix frost light" for both gtk2 & gtk3, same fonts... I even tried to symlink .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 and .gtkrc-2.0 in root to /home/user/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4

This is firefox (non-active menu items are invisible):

This is opera (menu items are now blue):

And this is leafpad:

where menus look ok, but when I run it from root it has cyan menu items...

I'm really confused. Any idea how can I fix it?
luebking

Re: GTK integration

Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:21 pm
The first two screenshots have no relation to gtk, the icon are not related to the visual style. If you want other icons for root, run "kdesu kcmshell4 icons" and pick your preferred icon theme for root.

Neither firefox nor opera are gtk+ applications.
Opera will try to make use of the current Qt style (QtCurve), but this has caveats and many GUI style detect opera and make slight modifications to the look to ensure things work.

Firefox uses XUL, which invokes gtk+ for styling.

Primarily to this, both applications use the configured custom theme.

You did not provide the most important information (actual gtk+ and gtk+ integration configuration).
drengot
Registered Member

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:17 am
Thanks for the reply, it's a bit clearer now.
luebking wrote:The first two screenshots have no relation to gtk, the icon are not related to the visual style.

They however differ in font weight. I don't know why, as "kdesu kcmshell4 fonts" shows I'm using the same fonts & sizes.
luebking wrote:You did not provide the most important information (actual gtk+ and gtk+ integration configuration).

If you mean this, it's the same for both root and non-root users:

JaKi
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:55 am
drengot wrote:They however differ in font weight. I don't know why, as "kdesu kcmshell4 fonts" shows I'm using the same fonts & sizes.

And you use the same DPI? And the same font smoothing/antialiasing/hinting settings?

Please show the files ~/.fonts.conf and ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf (if both exist), user and root - or compare by yourself, e.g. with kompare.
luebking

Re: GTK integration  Topic is solved

Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:58 pm
Sorry, the font rasterizing difference was too easy to miss on the preview.
It's hinting related (for sure)

I could not find a "numix frost light", but installed "numix" gtk+ themes and spotted that the menubar is inverted - and that doesn't work wit firefox. That's not KDE related, though.
You may be able to impact the colors FF uses through some "chrome" css, but I don't know how (you'll have to ask on a FF support forum)
drengot
Registered Member

Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:23 am
Thank you.