This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't configure slideshow in Plasma 5 wallpaper picker

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
brandontaylor
Registered Member
I'm trying to set my desktop wallpaper to change every five minutes, but the KDE Plasma 5 wallpaper picker won't allow me to add a folder to include in a slideshow! The "Open" dialog box that appears when I click "Add Folder" thinks we're looking for a FILE for some reason; yet it shows me absolutely NO files, and no matter what I select as a folder to add to the mix, it only opens the folder in the dialog box, eventually leading to a dead end! My only recourse is to hit "Cancel" and forget about it.

I intend to file a bug report about this, but I'm not quite sure how to categorize it. Meanwhile, is there any other way -- futile as this may sound -- to configure a wallpaper slideshow? (I say "futile" because I have heard that KDE is the only DE that doesn't allow configuration of desktop wallpapers other than by its own "Desktop Settings" applet.)

Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

Brandon Taylor
LinuxCanuck
Registered Member
I am having the same problem. I have six activities and wallpaper is working in the first four that set up. I added two more at a later time but cannot get the wallpaper to set as you have described. I am scratching my head on this because it worked previously.

I have searched for a solution and yours is the first time I have found somebody with the same problem.
tk
Registered Member
I have this same problem on a newly installed Kubuntu 15.10 system.
tk
Registered Member
I re-installed the system in exactly the same way, with the same packages and settings (I have a script which does this for me) with the only difference being that I didn't install Unity (ubuntu-desktop package). And now this problem is resolved, that's quite bizarre and obviously might not help you if you aren't on Ubuntu.

I also noticed that before (when I was seeing this problem with the Desktop slideshow) my icons were a dog's breakfast of mismatches and no matter what I set them to wouldn't be controlled. Not installing Unity seems to have fixed that.