This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Improve Firefox theme in Plasma 5

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Sudhir Khanger
Registered Member
OS

Improve Firefox theme in Plasma 5

Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:37 am
Hello, I am using Plasma 5 with Breeze theme on Fedora. Here are how dropdown buttons look in Plasma 5. Since there is no gtk-config module I am running blind of setting up proper gtk theme in Plasma 5. Is there a way to improve themeing in Firefox.

~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4
Code: Select all
# This file was written by KDE
# You can edit it in the KDE control center, under "GTK Styles and Fonts"

include "/usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font"
{
   font_name="Liberation Sans"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-theme-name="oxygen-gtk"
gtk-font-name="Liberation Sans 10"
philn
Registered Member
OS
I'm in a similar boat (in Kubuntu). I don't care much if some of the buttons look old and clunky (though it would be nice if they matched the rest of plasma 5, which is fairly attractive) but with the dark breeze style the scrollbar is impossible to see clearly. I've gone into system settings > color > options and disabled "apply colors to non-kde4 applications" and that has improved the scroolbar, but left everything a light grey color.

Is there a place I can edit the gtk colors that the breeze dark theme applies to tweak it slightly?
M4he
Registered Member
OS
Regarding the screenshot posted:
This is actually not exclusive to Plasma 5 or Plasma in general. It looks the same on Plasma 4 for me and also on non-KDE environments. I think it's a limitation of how Firefox renders page widgets on Linux. Some are simply not styled via the GTK theme.
google01103
Manager
I don't use FF but have you looked at http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=117962, I know it's Oxygen but it may still improve your experience or give you an idea on how to make appropriate changes

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

louis94
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
google01103 wrote:I don't use FF but have you looked at http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=117962, I know it's Oxygen but it may still improve your experience or give you an idea on how to make appropriate changes

Oxygen for Firefox's last version was for Firefox 23 ; we are now at version 35. It's not maintained currently, so a new version is unlikely.
Louis
google01103
Manager
one of the reasons I stopped using FF is that each new release broke the extensions I had come to rely on

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

M4he
Registered Member
OS
There's a sticky topic in the tutorials forum about integrating Firefox into KDE: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17786

They mention this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~blue-shell/+arch ... irefox-kde
It contains a version of Firefox 34 which seems rather recent.

As far as I can tell, it seems to aim for a better visual integration of Firefox into KDE. Might be what you're looking for. Haven't tried it though.