This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Artefacts with oxygen-gtk

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alefa
Registered Member
OS

Artefacts with oxygen-gtk

Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:38 am
Hi everyone,

since my recent upgrade to Debian Jessie (KDE 4.14), my gtk applications have two vertical brown stripes at the top:

This happens with LibreOffice, Zim and gVim (all gtk2), but not with Iceweasel (Firefox) and Icedove (Thunderbird), probably because these latter two aren't real gtk apps. The stripes only appear with the oxygen-gtk theme, not with other themes like qtcurve or Raleigh. As I was using a much older KDE version before the upgrade (4.8.4), I think the problem might be caused by old configuration files somewhere in my home directory, but I have no idea which files I would have to delete/rename to get rid of the stripes. Deleting the .gtkrc-2.0 didn't have an effect. I also couldn't find any bug reports or forum threads related to this issue. Any ideas how to solve this?
google01103
Manager

Re: Artefacts with oxygen-gtk

Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:23 pm
there's some *gtk* folders in ~/.config, try renaming the oxygen-gtk folder

for some reason, and I can't recall why, oxygen-gtk for gtk2 has caused me issues (iirc crashes) and I use qtcurve instead

have you tested as a new user to make sure it is your your config files and not something system wide?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

alefa
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:03 am
Yes, I noticed the gtk folders in .config, but the "oxygen-gtk" folder is empty except for a file called "argb-apps.conf". This file only contains two lines of comments:
Code: Select all
# argb-apps.conf
# Put your user-specific ARGB app settings here

Checking if the artefacts also appear with a new user was a good idea. I just did that and the stripes were there. So it seems that the problem is not caused by old configuration settings in my home directory.
I've noticed that the stripes sometimes suddenly disappear (no idea why), but always re-appear at the next login.
Switching to qtcurve instead of oxygen is certainly an option, but I like oxygen and would prefer to keep using it. I think I will first try to use a different version of oxygen-gtk. Maybe this problem only exists in the version packaged in Debian.

Thanks for your help, google01103!
alefa
Registered Member
OS

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:20 am
Ok, so I've done some more searching and found a bug report about this problem: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=303166
In the discussion, Ruslan Kabatsayev suggested that this may be a bug in the i915 driver for Intel graphics cards which only appears on Sandybridge devices. That would fit with my hardware. If anybody else experiences these visual glitches in gtk2 applications with oxygen-gtk, it would be really helpful if you post a comment (either here on in the bug report) with your hardware specs and the version of oxygen-gtk you're using. Then we can check if it's really the Intel driver or something else.