This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Vitual Desktop flipping

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rodgoslin
Registered Member

Vitual Desktop flipping

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:49 pm
Is there nay possible way of disabling the feature of flipping virtual desktops with the mouse scroll wheel? I dind it most annoying, if, by chance the cursor drifts from a window while scrolling down, for examle, a long listing. It is neither intuitive, nor meaningful, since a perfectly adequate way of changing the desktop is readily available on the action bar, where it is extremely unlikely to be called up inadvertantly
google01103
Manager

Re: Vitual Desktop flipping

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:13 pm
right click cashew (upper right corner) -> default desktop settings -> mouse actions -> vertical scroll -> change it or remove it

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

rodgoslin
Registered Member

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:45 pm
Unfortunately, right clicking on the 'cashew' does not give me the options you suggest. What it does give is much the same set of options a left click brings up (add panel, add widget, lock widget, et), , except presenting them as a pop-up window menu.
google01103
Manager

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:49 pm
what desktop layout are you using? maybe that's why it's not presented

google01103
Manager

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:06 pm
look in ~/.kde[4]/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc
is there a section like this?
Code: Select all
[ActionPlugins]
MidButton;NoModifier=paste
RightButton;NoModifier=contextmenu
wheel:Vertical;NoModifier=switchdesktop

if so try deleting the wheel:Vertical line, you may probably need to do this while plasma-desktop is not running:

kquitapp plasma-desktop

delete the line and then save the file and restart plasma
plasma-desktop &

rodgoslin
Registered Member

Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:53 pm
This version of KDE is 4.10.5. The line you mention 'wheel:vertical:...etc is there, but I,m unable to find anyting relevant to 'kquitapp plasma-desktop'. At the moment, I'm running Mageia 3, but hopefully vers 5 comes out at the end of the month, so it might be better to get the new install built and then look onto it. This change does not disable all scrolling, does it? I'm happy with scrolling inside an application, but not on the open desktop, where I consider it is neither needed, nor wanted.
google01103
Manager

Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:15 pm
you could use kill or pkill or even ksysguard to kill it - note: your plasma desktop (panel, widgets) will disappear but you'll be able to alt+tab to switch apps and +F2 to start apps

kquitapp should be there, somewhere - in openSUSE its in pkg kdebase4-runtime, you could search using your preferred package manager

your scrolling withing apps should not be affected

ps - what desktop layout do you use?

luebking

Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:28 pm
The shortcut to trigger the config dialog is Alt+D,Alt+S (ie. keep alt pressed and then press "d", then "s" before releasing alt),

But if you don't have a "Default Desktop Settings" entry in either menu (maybe it's translated...? Should be the last entry in the rmb menu), you're probably on a kiosk restricted system (ie. the IT configured it and users are not allowed to alter the configuration)
rodgoslin
Registered Member

Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:38 pm
In passing, I might mention that I also have a topic for a similar unwanted effect of scrolling, in the action bar. Which, so far, has not attracted a single comment.
google01103
Manager

Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:08 pm
rodgoslin wrote:In passing, I might mention that I also have a topic for a similar unwanted effect of scrolling, in the action bar. Which, so far, has not attracted a single comment.

Might be wrong but don't know of any way around that (assuming by "action bar" you mean the task manager), you could try an alternative task manage (fancy, smooth, icon-only) but they might function the same