This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

What are "SSL Preferences" for?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Piotr Dobrogost
Registered Member

What are "SSL Preferences" for?

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:30 am
Hi!

I thought adding a certificate to the list of certificates visible in System Settings/SSL Preferences would add it to system trusted certificates. However, after reading `man update-ca-trust` and searching for the certificates I had added with
Code: Select all
awk -v cmd='openssl x509 -noout -subject' ' /BEGIN/{close(cmd)};{print | cmd}' < /etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt | grep MyOrganization

(command taken from http://unix.stackexchange.com/q/97244/5355) I don't see them.

I tried finding some information on SSL Preferences but page at https://userbase.kde.org/System_Setting ... references is empty.
Pressing F1 in SSL Preferences window opens "The System Settings Handbook" (Settings/System Settings in the Contents pane) where there's the list of "System Settings Categories and Modules" with absolutely no information on what SSL Preferences are supposed to do. In the Contents pane I found System Settings Modules/SSL Preferences with the following information:

KDE provides a list of all the X.509 certificates used by the system. They can be accessed in the SSL Preferences module in System Settings.
This module provides a categorized listing of all SSL versions and certificates. You can see the details of each of the certificates and add, delete, disable, or enable them.

If the above is true then I guess (according to `man update-ca-trust`) user added certificates should be saved in /usr/share/pki/ca-trust-source or /etc/pki/ca-trust/source and the command `update-ca-trust extract` should be run. It seems that's not the case.

Am I missing something?

Fedora 21 (KDE spin)
KDE 4.14.3
mikelewis
Registered Member

Re: What are "SSL Preferences" for?

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:55 am
no any problem :)
Piotr Dobrogost
Registered Member

Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:27 am
mikelewis wrote:no any problem :)

Sorry but I don't know what you mean.
sberney
Registered Member

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:29 pm
It's 2020, and I have the same question. Adding a certificate here does not seem to update the system root certificates, so it doesn't not appear to have any application. If it doesn't have any application, the tab should probably be removed.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:45 pm
how about reporting this as a bug? https://bugs.kde.org is where I would report this rather than reviving a 5 year old forum post where apparently nobody new the answer to...

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...