This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How do I force some apps to use particular color schemes?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Sudhir Khanger
Registered Member
OS
Some apps behaves badly when used with dark themes. Emails for example would have grey text over black background. Apps like GIMP, Inkscape, LibreOffice, etc. aren't well suited for dark themes. In such cases how can I force some apps to use a different light theme.
google01103
Manager
a couple of discussions with similar proposed workarounds -
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=279592#c9
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=90720

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Sudhir Khanger
Registered Member
OS
Although the workaround is not ideal and I am certainly not looking forward to maintaining two systemsettings but that's what it is for now.
Sudhir Khanger
Registered Member
OS
Code: Select all
~/.bin/brightqt inkscape

(inkscape:3378): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/home/donnie/.kde-brightcolors/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/home/donnie/.kde-brightcolors/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.45RUUX': No such file or directory

(inkscape:3378): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/home/donnie/.kde-brightcolors/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

I have this problem because new home might not have access to my regular users home directory. How do I resolve such issues?
google01103
Manager
do you have a /home/donnie/.kde-brightcolors/.local/share/ you may need to create that hierarchy level by level

Sudhir Khanger
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:do you have a /home/donnie/.kde-brightcolors/.local/share/ you may need to create that hierarchy level by level

Thanks that did the trick.
Sudhir Khanger
Registered Member
OS
Hi back,

If I launch Kontact with a separate home folder that means I need to setup it again for that home folder. Any way to mitigate this issue.

Thanks.
google01103
Manager
see https://userbase.kde.org/Kontact#Migrat ... new_distro

you could consider using soft links instead of copying or moving, I would think that would work