This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KMenu: Show Application Names not Descriptions

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Mesa Virga
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I've been running the Kubuntu Plasma 5 demonstrator for a while and one of the niggles I have is that I can't seem to figure out how to get KMenu to show me application names instead of descriptions. I know my applications well enough to track them by name, but I have no idea what they are described as! I'm pretty sure there used to be an option in KMenuEdit but I'm not seeing anything.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Matt.

Matt.

"The idea that an arbitrary naive human should be able to properly use a given tool without training or understanding is even more wrong for computing than it is for other tools (e.g. automobiles, airplanes, guns, power saws)." - Doug Gwyn
google01103
Manager
assuming you're talking application menu and not application launcher:
right click -> general -> behavior -> show applications as -> name only

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Mesa Virga
Registered Member
OS
Hmm, no - I'm using it as a right-click-on-desktop option and that only seems to allow Application Launcher.

Matt.

"The idea that an arbitrary naive human should be able to properly use a given tool without training or understanding is even more wrong for computing than it is for other tools (e.g. automobiles, airplanes, guns, power saws)." - Doug Gwyn
google01103
Manager
hmm - don't see any way that can be done

Mesa Virga
Registered Member
OS
Neither could I! :)

Thanks for looking. I wonder how much I'd need to recompile to patch this. Going to see if Application Launcher is a standalone project or needs a huge source tree...

Matt.

google01103
Manager
best I can tell you would need to patch /usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/plasma_containmentactions_applauncher.so

Mesa Virga
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the steer!

Matt.