This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Menu Editor doesn't display 'Recently Installed'

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rcameron
Registered Member
OS
Yesterday I installed a GUI for OCR, YAGF. Today I see that it's listed in the 'Recently Installed' section of the 'classic' KDE Application Launcher Menu. However, I'd like to (by using the Menu Editor, I thought?) move it to a more-appropriate location.

On my system, the Menu Editor doesn't display this new application, and after checking Help, searching on this forum, and searching the Internet, I'm unable -- not only to find how to make this show in the Editor -- but also where to locate the .desktop file for the 'Recently Installed' menu subdivision in the filesystem, in case this could be done from console.

? Ideally, I'd like to learn how to move it now, if that's possible. What is the correct procedure ???

If I wait (and what would the time period be?) will the entry disappear from 'Recently Installed" and automatically appear elsewhere? Or, would it just disappear? Please advise if there a link to somewhere, where this behavior might be documented.

System information:
Linux Mint 17.3 | KDE Platform Version 4.14.2, and
Linux Mint 18.0 | KDE Platform Version 5.28.0
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
rcameron wrote:Yesterday I installed a GUI for OCR, YAGF. Today I see that it's listed in the 'Recently Installed' section of the 'classic' KDE Application Launcher Menu. However, I'd like to (by using the Menu Editor, I thought?) move it to a more-appropriate location.

That's not possible.

On my system, the Menu Editor doesn't display this new application, and after checking Help, searching on this forum, and searching the Internet, I'm unable -- not only to find how to make this show in the Editor -- but also where to locate the .desktop file for the 'Recently Installed' menu subdivision in the filesystem, in case this could be done from console.

The "Recently Installed" submenu is generated dynamically by the Application Launcher, that's why it isn't shown in the Menu Editor.
There are no extra .desktop files for this, it displays .desktop files that are newly found there in addition to the normal place.

If I wait (and what would the time period be?) will the entry disappear from 'Recently Installed" and automatically appear elsewhere?

The "Recently Installed" submenu shows entries that are newly detected in the last 3 days. So entries should disappear in 3 days at the latest.
They will not automatically appear elsewhere then, as they are already elsewhere in the menu (where exactly depends on the desktop files of course).

Btw, you can enable/disable that feature in the Application Launcher's settings (right-click on the icon to reach the settings).
rcameron
Registered Member
OS
wolfi323 wrote:
rcameron wrote:Yesterday I installed a GUI for OCR, YAGF. ... [This program came from the Linux Mint repository.]
They will not automatically appear elsewhere then, as they are already elsewhere in the menu (where exactly depends on the desktop files of course).

Thanks!
Here's the .desktop file for this application:
Code: Select all
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Categories=Qt;Office;OCR;
Exec=yagf %F
Icon=yagf
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
MimeType=image/png;image/jpeg;image/bmp;image/tiff;image/gif;image/x-portable-pixmap;image/x-portable-graymap;image/x-portable-bitmap;
Name=YAGF
Name[ru]=YAGF
Name[lt]=YAGF
Name[pl]=YAGF
Name[de]=YAGF
GenericName=OCR text recognition
GenericName[ru]=Распознавание текста
GenericName[lt]=ENTER YOUR TRANSLATION HERE
GenericName[pl]=ENTER YOUR TRANSLATION HERE
GenericName[de]=OCR Texterkennung
Comment=Graphical frontend for Cuneiform and Tesseract
Comment[ru]=Графическая оболочка для Cuneiform и Tesseract
Comment[lt]=Grafinė teksto atpažinimo programos Cuneiform sąsaja
Comment[pl]=Grafinė teksto atpažinimo programos Cuneiform sąsaja
Comment[de]=Graphische Benutzeroberfläche zu Cuneiform

There appear to be three Menu locations where the entry for this program should appear. The first and third headings don't exist in my Menu (but should the entries in this file have created them?) . The second, 'Office', does exist, but does not contain 'YAGF'. Do you see any problem with the file, that persistent Menu entries should fail to be created?

Since I have two office suites installed, I did 'clean up' that entry by moving LibreOffice and Calligra Office to one level below the top. However, the top level name and category was not changed -- still just 'Office', as it was before.

System information:
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
rcameron wrote:There appear to be three Menu locations where the entry for this program should appear. The first and third headings don't exist in my Menu (but should the entries in this file have created them?) . The second, 'Office', does exist, but does not contain 'YAGF'.

No, not necessary.
It has the categories "Qt", "Office", and "OCR", but where exactly it appears in your menu depends on your system's menu structure.
This will probably be "Office" in this case.

Do you see any problem with the file, that persistent Menu entries should fail to be created?

No.
Do you find it with the search function? (either in the Application Launcher or in kmenuedit, the latter should let you know where exactly it is located in the menu...)

If it is shown in "Recently Installed", KDE must have picked it up.

Since I have two office suites installed, I did 'clean up' that entry by moving LibreOffice and Calligra Office to one level below the top. However, the top level name and category was not changed -- still just 'Office', as it was before.

I'm not completely sure what you really did here and what you don't understand.

What entry did you "clean up"? The "Office" top-level submenu?

LibreOffice and Calligra were entries in the "Office" submenu/category, and you moved them into a (newly created) subfolder of Office?

Why should the "Office" subfolder's name change just because you move other items into different folders?
Use kmenuedit to change an entry's name.
rcameron
Registered Member
OS
rcameron wrote:Since I have two office suites installed, I did 'clean up' that entry by moving LibreOffice and Calligra Office to one level below the top. However, the top level name and category was not changed -- still just 'Office', as it was before.

wolfi323 wrote:I'm not completely sure what you really did here and what you don't understand.

What entry did you "clean up"? The "Office" top-level submenu? ...

No, the top level name remained the same ... was not changed.

I also thought it should have appeared under 'Office' but sorry if I confused things by explaining that I changed entries below the level of 'Office'. I think you're agreeing, that so long as the original top level, 'Office' itself, was left untouched, the new program name should have appeared, here.

This was not installed through Synaptic, but through a front-end for it, a Mint 'Software Manager'. Perhaps if I go into Synaptic and reinstall, things will be corrected. I may do either that, or just make a manual entry.

You were curious as to how I obtained the .desktop file? That was from the 'Recently Installed' category. I thought by reading that, I'd be able to figure out where it was or, in this case, where it should have gone.

At this point, I think there was a partial failure of the installation, for unknown reasons. That's OK, as long as I'm not doing anything myself, to make it fail.

System information:
rcameron
Registered Member
OS

Just one more thing ...

Sat May 09, 2015 10:23 pm
Am I correct, that a 'Registered Category' suitable for the program must be present first, before the installation? In other words, if it's not there, does that mean that no Menu entry will be created? Or, will the installation force an appropriate Category to appear?

:) Thanks, if you could tell me this, I think that will 'wrap up' the thread, unless you have further comments ...

System information:
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
rcameron wrote:No, the top level name remained the same ... was not changed.

And what do you mean with "clean up" then?
Can you exactly explain what you did?

I also thought it should have appeared under 'Office' but sorry if I confused things by explaining that I changed entries below the level of 'Office'. I think you're agreeing, that so long as the original top level, 'Office' itself, was left untouched, the new program name should have appeared, here.

Maybe, maybe it appeared somewhere else.
That depends on your menu structure.

This was not installed through Synaptic, but through a front-end for it, a Mint 'Software Manager'. Perhaps if I go into Synaptic and reinstall, things will be corrected. I may do either that, or just make a manual entry.

It should not matter _how_ you installed it. But a .desktop file specifying the menu entry must be in the correct place (normally /usr/share/applications/).

Maybe running "kbuildsycoca4" to rebuild the cache will make KDE detect it.
But again, if it showed up in "Recently Installed" KDE must know about that .desktop file and the entry should be somewhere else in your menu.

And yes, you should be able to create a manual entry in any way.

You were curious as to how I obtained the .desktop file? That was from the 'Recently Installed' category. I thought by reading that, I'd be able to figure out where it was or, in this case, where it should have gone.

And how did you "read" it?

Have you tried to use the menu's search function? Does it show up then?
Try to enable "Show hidden entries" in the menu editor's settings. Maybe it is on "Hidden"?

rcameron wrote:Am I correct, that a 'Registered Category' suitable for the program must be present first, before the installation? In other words, if it's not there, does that mean that no Menu entry will be created?

No. If the exact categories do not exist, the entry should appear in some general category like "Applications".

The default menu structure is defined by files in /etc/xdg/menus/. They describe what desktop files (i.e. regarding the keywords that are specified in the "Categories=..." line) should be shown in which subfolder of the menu.

Btw, this is not at all KDE specific.
This is a freedesktop.org standard: http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/

Or, will the installation force an appropriate Category to appear?

Not really.
But an empty category is not displayed, so if it is the first application of that category you installed, the installation will seem to "force an appropriate Category to appear" as you say, yes.

Another guess: the Categories listed in the .desktop file are "Office; OCR". This might also make it show up in Graphicds, Graphics->Scanning, or Graphics->OCR I think. The latter one should at least apply to openSUSE by judging from my /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu here...
rcameron
Registered Member
OS
wolfi323 wrote:
rcameron wrote:No, the top level name remained the same ... was not changed.

And what do you mean with "clean up" then?
Can you exactly explain what you did?

I just gathered the separate components of the Office suites together and put these under subheadings with appropriate names, such as LibreOffice, Calligra, etc. If I recall, the standard installation left everything directly in Office.
To read the .desktop file, it was moved, or copied, from its place in the Kickstart Menu, onto the Desktop, and then opened with a text editor.

Thanks for all the other hints. This was quite an education!

System information: