This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] "Keep above" "Keep below" customization directions

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rcameron
Registered Member
OS
A search of this forum for the two terms in quotes, in the Subject line, gives only five irrelevant hits -- which surprised me -- but in any event, please help me with my question.

Direct quote from post on another forum giving lists of praises for KDE (that came up while trying to find an answer to this question, with a general Internet search):
KDE's Special Windows & Applications settings have no comparison..

i have a keep above/keep below button on all my title bars as well as scroll shading on the title bar to roll up the window.. I don't know how to get one-click* keep above/keep below functionality on any other desktop environment.

??? Can someone please tell me where these settings may be made?

I did search KDE's System Settings for the boldfaced terms -- and nothing was 'highlighted' -- so I assume the names or locations of these settings must have been changed, since the post was made. But, changed ... to what?

P.S.: I would also like to know how to configure a keyboard shortcut, to toggle 'keep above-keep below'. Again, directions please, as I've looked for that under Global Keyboard Shortcuts, and didn't see it. A post (elsewhere) that came up in my Internet search indicated it should be here, but perhaps I'm looking under the wrong tab? How does one get to the correct location to configure this?? Edit: I now see not all the selections are visible, until one 'scrolls down'.

Last edited by rcameron on Thu May 14, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

System information:
Linux Mint 17.3 | KDE Platform Version 4.14.2, and
Linux Mint 18.0 | KDE Platform Version 5.28.0
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
(I don't know if it's changed in kde 5, but in kde 4) Open System Settings -> Desktop appearance -> Window Decorations -> Configure Buttons, drag the respective buttons onto the titlebar preview wherever you want them.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
rcameron wrote:??? Can someone please tell me where these settings may be made?

Systemsettings->Workspace Appearance->Window Decorations, click on "Configure Buttons..." and you can add them to the title bar.

P.S.: I would also like to know how to configure a keyboard shortcut, to toggle 'keep above-keep below'. Again, directions please, as I've looked for that under Global Keyboard Shortcuts, and didn't see it. A post (elsewhere) that came up in my Internet search indicated it should be here, but perhaps I'm looking under the wrong tab? How does one get to the correct location to configure this??

It's in Systemsettings->Shortcuts and Gestures->Global Shortcut, select "KWin" as component and you should find them in the list.
rcameron
Registered Member
OS
wolfi323 wrote:
rcameron wrote:??? Can someone please tell me where these settings may be made?

Systemsettings->Workspace Appearance->Window Decorations, click on "Configure Buttons..." and you can add them to the title bar.

The Title Bar Buttons are almost working ... I'm on the window titled 'Buttons' and I dragged the 'On Top' icon to the left side of the title bar 'preview', then <OK>. Then, <Apply>. But, it's not appearing on the title bar of a window (it was Dolphin, just for a test) I open, after that.

If it makes any difference, I'm doing this with the 'Laptop' theme selected, on the 'Configure the Look and Feel of Windows'-window.
    Edit: There seems to be some kind of a restriction on which theme accepts placement of certain icons, in the Title Bar area. In watching as the changes are made, Oxygen seems to be the only theme that responds as expected. Is there a work-around for this? Or, am I doing something incorrectly?

??? What could be the problem?

P.S.: The Keyboard Shortcuts are working. I now am able to select top and bottom: <MetaKey><T> and <MetaKey><B>. But, is there another step I must take to make the 'Buttons' become visible?

System information:
rcameron
Registered Member
OS
I don't recall selecting 'Laptop' -- I did a routine installation of Linux Mint KDE, and it's just 'what I have'. Should I consider switching to Oxygen, and if yes, what's the first step to doing this?

As a matter of fact, I can't even find anything called 'Laptop' in System Settings -> Workspace Appearance and Behavior. What is 'Laptop' and where does it come from?

Last edited by rcameron on Thu May 14, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

System information:
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
rcameron wrote:I don't recall selecting 'Laptop' -- I did a routine installation of Linux Mint KDE, and it's just 'what I have'.

Well, normally Oxygen should be the default.
I don't know Mint, maybe they "customized" the default?

Should I consider switching to Oxygen, and if yes, what's the first step to doing this?

Yes. Apparenlty "Laptop" doesn't support those two buttons you want to add.

You can switch to "Oxygen" in System Settings -> Workspace Appearance and Behavior->Workspace Appearance->Window Decorations.

As a matter of fact, I can't even find 'Laptop' in System Settings -> Workspace Appearance and Behavior. What is 'Laptop' and where does it come from?
[/quote]
It should be listed in System Settings -> Workspace Appearance and Behavior->Workspace Appearance->Window Decorations, just like Oxygen.
rcameron
Registered Member
OS
wolfi323 wrote:You can switch to "Oxygen" in System Settings -> Workspace Appearance and Behavior->Workspace Appearance->Window Decorations.

OK, thanks. The only thing, I don't see any option to switch right there -- although 'Oxygen' is listed, but apparently just as an illustration.

Where it looks as if loading Oxygen might be possible, I'm not in 'Window Decorations' but instead in 'Desktop Theme' -- where there are two choices, 'Air' and 'Oxygen'. There's no 'Laptop'. 'Air' is highlighted, but this isn't present in the 'Window Decorations' section, that you mentioned.

Does it look as if something got 'fouled up' when the Mint installation was customized?

I trust I should just go ahead, even though there's no visible way of returning to 'Laptop' and I won't be 'doing this' from exactly the same location you described?

System information:
rcameron
Registered Member
OS
Worked fine. First time I changed a theme. No need to return to previous settings. Title Bar Buttons became visible, as soon as the theme changed.

Thanks to wolfi323 and all who helped!

System information: