This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Recent information on KDE's compatiblity with Screenlets?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rcameron
Registered Member
OS
I'm aware that traditionally, it has not been possible to use Screenlets with KDE. But, sometimes things change, and all the references I see are at least two years old.

??? What's the latest on this topic -- still incompatible, or is there now a work-around?

I have interest in a desktop-minibrowser Screenlet named Webframe.

Otherwise, what's the best choice for a widget, or Plasmoid (or, anything else that's compatible) to provide a Desktop view (cropped, preferably) of a web page, while using KDE?

System information:
Linux Mint 17.3 | KDE Platform Version 4.14.2, and
Linux Mint 18.0 | KDE Platform Version 5.28.0
rcameron
Registered Member
OS
:) Let's assume the answer is 'No', and I'll close out the thread by marking it 'Answered'. Hope that will be helpful to any other KDE users who come across this thread. :)

System information:
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
rcameron wrote::) Let's assume the answer is 'No', and I'll close out the thread by marking it 'Answered'. Hope that will be helpful to any other KDE users who come across this thread. :)

Well, I don't know what exactly such a "screenlet" is that you are talking about.
But a "Web Browser" and a "Webslice" plasmoid/applet are included in KDE which allow to display a website (or a part thereof) on the desktop.

Btw, KDE4's desktop is feature frozen since nearly two years and in bugfix only mode. So if there was no support for screenlets two years ago, there never will be any (in KDE4 that is).
rcameron
Registered Member
OS
:o First of all, thanks so much for wolfi323 jumping-in with a very helpful answer: the Web Browser plasmoid.

I don't know how I missed that one, but it solves the problem. This will be my 'GNU/Linux' replacement for Eduardo Mancero's minibrowser 0.7, -- and I don't have to run it sandboxed (on MS Windows) to protect the OS from malware on malicious web sites. 8)

I had found, and was trying to use Web Slice, but its automatic scaling was making a 'live' forex chart 'jump-around' and cutting-off its Options menu, every time I got its size right. But your first suggestion, Web Browser solves the problem. It would be nice if the user could narrow its borders, but I'm happy to have anything that displays and what you suggested is the best choice -- of what's available.

wolfi323 wrote:... I don't know what exactly such a "screenlet" is ...

Screenlets are Plasmoids for Gnome.

I thought it worth asking if a Screenlet just might work, since from other sources I was learning that at least one version of KDE is compatible with not only its own Plasmoids, but also Google Gadgets, SuperKaramba Widgets and Mac OS X Dashboard Widgets.

Admittedly, this was for a previous KDE version, but I was hoping compatibility had been maintained throughout the 4.x series. So, I was wondering, if at some point, Screenlets may also have been included. So that's where the question was leading -- to see how wide a choice I might have to display web content on the KDE Desktop.

Now the search is over thanks to the suggestion to use Web Browser. :)

Moderator edit: removed links to advertising

System information:
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
rcameron wrote:Screenlets are Plasmoids for Gnome.

Aha. Well, I never heard of them being supported.

[size=100]I thought it worth asking if a Screenlet just might work, since from other sources I was learning that at least one version of KDE is compatible with not only its own Plasmoids, but also Google Gadgets, SuperKaramba Widgets and Mac OS X Dashboard Widgets.

Yes, those were supported.

I'm not sure about the current state though. I even think support for Google Gadgets and MacOS X Dashboard Widgets has been removed some time ago (superkaramba should still be supported in KDE4 at least), but don't quote me on that... ;)