This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Back to 70's icons for directories and normal files

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Fri13
Registered Member
OS
I want my simplicity back.

Yes, it sounds odd or harsh etc. But after years now spent on KDE, I would want to know how to get Dolphin (and all other KDE apps) to show all files just with two icons, a directory and a normal empty sheet of paper.

This is little bit about the style:

The new Breeze style can seem to be attractive to many, but I dislike the bright colors for filetypes.

So, basically it is just "command line kung-fu" about replacing every mimetype icon with one icon. How?
Fri13
Registered Member
OS
Seems like no one knows how to adjust globally all directories to one icon and all other file types to another?
Fri13
Registered Member
OS
Seems that the only way to do this is manually set every mimetype to one and the same style. Laboring work if needed to do on multiple computer by going to mime-type settings :-/

Unless I could just use cp to overwrite all the existing files in one directory and its sub-directories with specific one?
eemantsal
Registered Member
OS
If you delete all your icon sets doesn't happen that, files aren't displayed all with the same icon? Anyway you always can create a new and 70-ish icon set. There's a lot of documentation out there on how to make icon sets for Linux desktops.
luebking
Afair unresolved mimetypes should resort to the "unknown" icon, you probably only need that.
Just ensure to not inherit any icon theme (inc. hicolor) in your theme and you'll likely have to wipe the icons cache (dolphin seems particularily stubborn itr. ;-)

Just to be sure: you want a pdf look like a doc like an xls or a htm or jpeg, right?
Fri13
Registered Member
OS
Duh... Stupid me, forgot to write the answer for here too.....

Code: Select all
for FILE in *; do cp foobar.svg $FILE; done

That is the shell line that will replace all "*" the files with "foobar.svg" file.
So all what you need to do, is to edit one file (foobar.svg) and then copy it over all the above.

That makes it very easy to get what wanted. I have now just two icons for files, a folder and empty file.
And it makes very easy and fast to find files and edit them as you don't have any colors or icons on your way.