This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE 5 Plasma having problems with saving settings

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
KillerLink
Registered Member
Hello there,
i am somewhat new to KDE, but have atleast somewhat knowledge about Linux usw.

I have just setup an arch-linux installation on my laptop (HP Pavilion dv6) (using an SSD harddrive) and decided to use kde5 plasma as desktop environment.
A small notice, my mother-tongue is German and therefore my System is set to german as well.
(I am trying to translate everything to englisch, if i dont know the correct translation i might write it in "..." )

If i am in the wrong subforum, i ask for forgiveness, please redirect me to the correct place to ask.

My Problem is the following: Some Settings edited via the given graphical interfaces are not saved/stored/loaded corretly.
Plus: the problem does not occur consitently. Sometimes its saved correctly, sometimes not.

Example 1:
I create a new shortcut via SystemSettings>Shortcuts>OwnSettings, I create a new group and in it a new shortcut, i define what keys to use and what action to perform, for example "alt+enter" and "xterm".
The defined shortcut now does work. But i can not simply change the action: for example if i change the shortcut, press apply and return to the overview of systemsettings, then go back to the specific shortcut settings page, the change ist not present anymore. (Neither did the change apply).
I noticed that if i change the shortcut key AND the action and press apply, it is saved correctly. If i only change the action (and do press apply) it is not saved correclty.
Also, if changed the action and pressed apply and the click on another shortcut to edit, i says that there are unsaved changes in a dialog box.
Also, unchecking (to disable) the shortcut, "apply", change, "apply", re-check shortcut (enableing the shortcut), "apply" does the trick as well to save correctly.

Also i suspect something might be wrong about what shortcuts are listed under "Eigene Tastenkürzel" (<- where my own define shortcuts are to be listed and edited)
There are examples (On my system calles "Beispiele") which are greyed out (understandable), but also "KMenuEdit" "Konqueror - Gesten" "Voreingestellte Aktionen" can be found in the list, and i suspect at least "KMenuEdit" should not be listed here. A few days ago, also some of those dissapeared an reappered on another user account randomly.
Also the listbox on the settings page "global shortcuts" viewed some english and some german entrys, e.g.: "Activities" and "Aktivitäten" where both listet. (For another user, my current user did not do this yet)

Example 2: Startup scripts.
I have custom scripts under /sh/* owned by root:cset and they are executable by group cset. My user is member of cset and tested to be able to execute, and the execution by start of kde does work correclty.
I added one of those scripts to autostart.
But after rebooting the settings page under SystemSettings>Startup does not list the script to be in autostart anymore.
I looked into ~/.config/autostart/ and the correct symlink is there, so that is why it is executed, but why does the settings page not show it correclty.
//EDIT: Okay, startup scripts are NOT run correclty all the time. only sometimes. maybe depandet of what displaymanager i use. sddm seems not to work. lxdm might have been the one working.

I have 2 assumptioms about what might be relevant to the error:
1) Language/Localization settings on my System, i am not sure if i did those correclty
2) System on ssd with "noatime", maybe settings files are evaluated at access time.

Does someone have an idea how to correct this? Is this a kde specific bug? Or system specific?
with best regards
Theodor
luebking
~/.config/autostart/ *only* executes desktop services, see
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=338242
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=343513

The behavior is specified here http://standards.freedesktop.org/autost ... atest.html - the GUI presence is a bug (though I recall a review request to fix that)

I've seen very frustrating behavior of the globalaccel kcm myself - there seems a race condition when saving the shortcuts and in return, the config written on disk more or less randomly resets. No idea about the cause so far, though - sorry.
KillerLink
Registered Member
Have many thanks for your answer.
(Im sorry for my late reply, had very little time due to education)

I take it as it appears kde5 does appear to be stable, but not ready^^
i just wanted to know if those are local problems or if those are known. So now i know its not only me.

Thanks!