This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problem mapping "Switch Window" to a different shortcut

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gosku
Registered Member
Hi,

I'm trying to customize KDE (4.10) for the behavior of the alt key to be like the CMD key on Mac OS, mainly because the alt key position is more centered than ctrl, so it is more comfortable when I pivot with my thumb finger for doing a sequence of shortcuts.

For that reason, I selected the option "Control is mapped to Alt Keys, Alt is mapped to Win Keys", so now the regular shortcuts (copy & paste, new tab, close tab, undo, select all...) are activated pressing either ctrl or alt keys.

Finally, I tried to change the shortcut for "Switch Window" from "Alt + Tab" to "Ctrl + Tab" because now Alt is behaving as Ctrl. However, the new shortcut does not work as expected:
- If I pressure Ctrl (the real one) + Tab, everything is ok, the switch window menu is triggered with the same appearance I configured at "System Settings -> Windows Behavior -> Task Switcher"

-If I pressure Alt (that should behave the same as Ctrl) + Tab then the system switches to the window on I was working previously. This way, a sequence of (Alt + Tab) (Alt + Tab) (Alt + Tab)... is switching only between the last 2 windows I've been working on. Furthermore, no visual menu is triggered, it only switches the windows.

How can I fix this??

Thank you on advance.
Tony_B
Registered Member
I have used xbindkeys in the past to do stuff like this.

Maybe you could set KDE's key mapping back to the default and achieve your desired behavior with xbindkeys?
gosku
Registered Member
Thank you very much for your help. I could not make it work with xbindkeys, but I found xmodmap very useful.

I followed this guide, it is for Unity (Ubuntu 11.10) but it works with my Centos 7 with KDE 4.10:

https://earthviaradio.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/swapping-the-left-alt-and-ctrl-keys-in-ubuntu-11-10/