This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to Change Window Decorations colors etc. on Fedora 22?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
GreyGnome
Registered Member
Hello,
I just installed Fedora 22 and I'd like to change my desktop colors and such. I may be running Plasma 5, I'm not sure (/usr/bin/startkde comes from the package plasma-workspace-5.3.2-2.fc22.x86_64, but I notice that kded4 and kdeinit4 are running as well on my machine).

I went to System Settings and then to Workspace Theme. Under Desktop Theme I got a number of new themes but when I click on them nothing happens (this is for an out-of-the-box Fedora 22; as of this writing my install is less than 24 hours old).

Even after installing some themes, if I look under "Look and Feel" in the Systems Settings->Workspace theme, I still see only two overall look and feels, and no way to update those (apparently).

Is there something I'm overlooking? Thanks.
luebking
Code: Select all
ps ax | grep plasma

if it says "plasmashell", it's "KDE5" and if it says "plasma-desktop" it's KDE4.

For KDE 5 run
[code]kcmshell5 desktoptheme[code]

and for KDE 4
[code]kcmshell4 desktoptheme[code]

This affects the desktop and is largely different from application styling/LaF.
The latter will likely support "fusion" and "gtk+" and (depending on whyt you've installed) maybe "breeze", "oxygen", "qtcurve" or "virtuality"
Some of these styles have own config options and will (except for gtk+) follow "kcmshell5 colors"
GreyGnome
Registered Member
Thanks, luebking. So I have KDE5; groovy.

How do I know what desktoptheme's kcmshell5 will recognize (ie, that are currently installed)? And can I go to eg kde-look.org and grab one of those themes, or I have to be careful to get Plasma 5 themes exclusively?

Do I run kcmshell5 directly on a .tar.gz file, or I have to extract it first and then I run it on a directory, or...? Documentation seems thin on this tool.
luebking
"kcmshell*" load systemsettings modules.
It will ensure you open the correct module (version) without me having to tell you how to click through systemsettings ;-)

The easiest way to get new themes from (kde-look) is via the "install new themes" button ("k-get-hot-new-stuff"), it should also filter the supported formats, but afaik, you can use plasma4 themes on plasma5 (though they might be "incomplete" on some aspects)

NOTICE: that desktop themes will really only affect the desktop and panels, not overall application looks.
GreyGnome
Registered Member
I typed
kcmshell5 load systemsettings modules
. It said, "Could not find module 'load'. Could not find module 'systemsettings'. Could not find module 'modules'. Did I misunderstand?

You shouldn't have to tell me how to click through systemsettings, right? I mean, if you do (and I am a 30 year UNIX veteran sysadmin), then either I am an idiot or the system design is broke, isn't it? This should be simple; even going to the command line is strange.

I wonder why this seems so hard. I mean, just to test, I went to my CentOS 7 desktop and zipped right to System Settings->Workspace Appearance and Behavior->Workspace Appearance and started changing things. Every time I hit "apply", things changed. Easy-peasy, and I can see the effects of the new themes/decorations right away.

Why can't I do the same thing on KDE5?
luebking
kcmshell5 desktoptheme

Tos see a list of available modules:
kcmshell5 --list

and as usual:
kcmshell5 --help
GreyGnome
Registered Member
Thanks again, luebking. I note that kcmshell5 desktoptheme brings up a selection of themes, but if I click on them they do nothing (I also push Apply and Ok, naturally).

Actually kcmshell5 colors is making me pretty happy; it works. I still wonder why this is not available by clicking around.

Are these known issues and KDE5 is still lacking in certain such features?