This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Font antialiasing issues with vertical scrolling

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mlegault
Registered Member
Hello,

I am running Kubuntu 15.04 with plasma desktop on a MacBook (intel onboard graphics, 4gb ram, 2.4ghz dual core).
My system generally renders fonts without issue, after having set my antialiasing options to no subpixel rendering and slight hinting.
However, I have noticed two specific areas where text does not render properly:
- System settings, but only in the Desktop Behavior > Desktop Effects tab
- Muon Software centre

The text renders fine on opening the windows, but when using two-finger scrolling up and down, the text will render crooked or chopped on one move, but render fine on another move. If I scroll with the scroll bar on the side of the window, the text always renders fine.

I've tried playing with scroll distances, different fonts, different antialiasing settings, but nothing fixes the issue.

I have another system, with nVidia graphics, and it does not have this issue.

Photo :
http://s24.photobucket.com/user/bs27cud ... o.png.html
luebking
Those are QtQuick scenes, so this is (likely) an OpenGL issue (bug in the intel driver, thus not happening on the nvidia system)

=> Try uxa acceleration
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... SNA_issues
(the process is the same on every distro)
mlegault
Registered Member
Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it has not resolved the issue. In fact, my graphics processing seems slower, menus pop up more slowly and are not smooth.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
luebking
UXA is the older acceleration and yes: SNA is more performant.

You may try
Code: Select all
Option "TearFree" "false"

and/or (this will likely have some performance impact)
Option "Tiling" "false"

the same way you altered the "AccelMethod"
mlegault
Registered Member
Hmmm... Thanks for the quick response.

I just noticed that it occurs on my computer equipped with nVidia graphics as well, but only in Muon Software centre, not the system settings app.

And I also would like to point out I don't have an xorg.conf.d folder in /etc/X11/ , so if I create the 20-intel.conf file in my /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ folder, does it come out to the same thing? Both my systems don't have the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d folder.
luebking
The issue may then simply be an isufficient amount of damage events (with random outcome)
Can you also reproduce it with the compositor suspended (press SHIFT+Alt+F12, toggles it on again as well)

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ is distro territory - you are not *supposed* to edit around there, but it will nevertheless work.
mlegault
Registered Member
I confirm the issue persists with compositing turned off.

Where would I go to modify the options for TearFree or Tiling if the files they are supposed to be in (20-intel.conf or 20-nvidia.conf)?
luebking
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

However notice that the name actually doesn't matter - the important bit is

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics" # free choice
   Driver      "intel" # THIS IS THE IMPORTANT KEY in this section!
   # Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa" # let's keep trying sna
   Option      "TearFree"    "true"
   Option "Tiling" "false" # as you can see, the amount of blanks does not matter
EndSection

They're simply split up in strikingly named files to allow distros/users simple management of various config bits.