This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Remember window size/place

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lzfy
Registered Member

Remember window size/place

Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:13 pm
Anyone knows why KDE apps don't remember there last size and place on the screen? I found this very annoying because I have to do this everytime I start an app. Is there something I can do to fix this?

lzfy, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Alec
Registered Member
OS

RE: Remember window size/place

Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:54 pm
Generally, KWin places new windows in corners where there are currenlty no windows to maximize the amount of windows you see at once. If you want to override this for some windows, right-click the window, click "Configure window behavior," select "Window-specific" and click "New...". Then, click "detect window properties" button at the bottom and select the window you want to configure, and when a window pops up, click OK. Then, in the "Geometry" tab, check "Size" and "Geometry" and select "remember" for each.

Hope that helps!

Get problems solved faster - get reply notifications through Jabber!
Seli
Registered Member

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:42 pm
Alec wrote:If you want to override this for some windows, right-click the window, click "Configure window behavior," select "Window-specific" and click "New...". Then, click "detect window properties" button at the bottom and select the window you want to configure, and when a window pops up, click OK.

Alt+F3 when the window is active, Advanced/Special window settings .
lzfy
Registered Member

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:55 pm
Alec wrote:Generally, KWin places new windows in corners where there are currenlty no windows to maximize the amount of windows you see at once. If you want to override this for some windows, right-click the window, click "Configure window behavior," select "Window-specific" and click "New...". Then, click "detect window properties" button at the bottom and select the window you want to configure, and when a window pops up, click OK. Then, in the "Geometry" tab, check "Size" and "Geometry" and select "remember" for each.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, that worked :-). Is there an option in Kwin to remember all these preferences for every window without configuring it manually?

Alec
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:00 am
I'm not exactly sure, but you could try to figure it out ;-)

If you don't select a window to apply the rule to, you get the following pop-up:

You have specified the window class as unimportant.
This means the settings will possibly apply to windows from all applications. If you really want to create a generic setting, it is recommended you at least limit the window types to avoid special window types.

Get problems solved faster - get reply notifications through Jabber!
lzfy
Registered Member

Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:14 am
Alec wrote:I'm not exactly sure, but you could try to figure it out ;-)

If you don't select a window to apply the rule to, you get the following pop-up:

You have specified the window class as unimportant.
This means the settings will possibly apply to windows from all applications. If you really want to create a generic setting, it is recommended you at least limit the window types to avoid special window types.

That doesn't seem to work :-( But hey, at least now I can do it manually with my favorite apps :) Again, thanks for the help.

evll
Registered Member
OS

Re: Remember window size/place

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:41 pm
Sorry about raising such an old topic, but it's been 2 years and I still don't find a setting to remember size+position of ALL windows without configuring each window separately. Am I missing something?
Rubens
Registered Member

Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:43 am
I would like to find a setting to make it NOT automatically remember the sizes. This "remember everything automatically policy with no way to disable" is extremely annoying.

In KDE 4 programs like dolphin and konsole are so annoying that I'm currently looking for alternatives. I don't want them to remember the last position. Just because I resized the last konsole, I don't want all new ones to start with that size.

KDE 3 had a very good setting for konsole, where you could choose "make this default".

I've almost switched to gnome-terminal instead. Just need to find a good replacement for dolphin.

I'm sad about the state of KDE today. I've used KDE for years and years, and I've waited patiently for KDE 4 to regain the basic features of KDE 3. But now we're at KDE 4.6 and still there's tons of basic things that it can't do.

It my work I've switched to openbox / tint2 because KDE 4 was unusable there. I'm still hanging on to KDE at home though. But maybe not for that much longer.
annew
Manager
OS

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:13 am
This sounds like a carry-over from old configurations. While I don't know any global remember/forget setting, have you tried checking the applications in question by right-click on the title bar > Advanced > Special Application Settings (you may need to check Special Window Settings as well) making sure that you don't have Remember set for size and position?

Certainly on my system the only windows that do remember are those where I have told them to.

As for "tons of basic things it can't do" - I know very few. Try separate topics for each of those and we'll see if we can help.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
Rubens
Registered Member

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:58 am
annew wrote:As for "tons of basic things it can't do" - I know very few. Try separate topics for each of those and we'll see if we can help.

Two basic things that I still find missing is editable right click menus, and window list. On KDE 3, you could add your favorite programs or scripts, or whatever to a custom menu that I had assigned to the right mouse button. Right click on the background, select, and run. Easy.

Middle click gave me a window list of all windows on all virtual desktops. Really nice and useful.

Just two things. Other stuff I miss is a more configurable panel (I can't find out a way to change the color, for instance). The task manager would need more options. KDE startup is slow. 15-30 seconds from clicking "login" to a usable workspace is really slow (however, KDE 4.6 seems faster, which is really great news).

KDE 4 has lots of features like desktop effects that you can use to impress friends with, but most of those are not really useful.

I'll make a more complete list of things I miss in KDE 4, and post them as separate topics. :-)
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:31 pm
Rubens wrote:Two basic things that I still find missing is editable right click menus, and window list. On KDE 3, you could add your favorite programs or scripts, or whatever to a custom menu that I had assigned to the right mouse button. Right click on the background, select, and run. Easy.

That one can sort-of be solved by using http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Fa ... ent=117639 Sort of means that it uses whatever you have assigned as favorite apps in the launcher.

Rubens wrote:Middle click gave me a window list of all windows on all virtual desktops. Really nice and useful.

That can be configured in Mouse actions (right click on the desktop and select "Settings" and you'll find it). What you want is the switch window action.

Rubens wrote:Just two things. Other stuff I miss is a more configurable panel (I can't find out a way to change the color, for instance).

The color is determined by the plasma-theme you're using. Some, such as OxyWin, is made to use the system-colors. Others are more hard-coded.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Rubens
Registered Member

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:42 pm
Kryten2X4B wrote:
Rubens wrote:Two basic things that I still find missing is editable right click menus, and window list. On KDE 3, you could add your favorite programs or scripts, or whatever to a custom menu that I had assigned to the right mouse button. Right click on the background, select, and run. Easy.

That one can sort-of be solved by using http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Fa ... ent=117639 Sort of means that it uses whatever you have assigned as favorite apps in the launcher.

Rubens wrote:Middle click gave me a window list of all windows on all virtual desktops. Really nice and useful.

That can be configured in Mouse actions (right click on the desktop and select "Settings" and you'll find it). What you want is the switch window action.

Thanks! I'll try the favorites launcher as well!
Rubens
Registered Member

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:55 pm
Rubens wrote:
Kryten2X4B wrote:

Thanks! I'll try the favorites launcher as well!

Almost works! :-)

With almost, I mean that I can't replace the "standard menu" for right mouse button. It works if I assign the Favorites launcher for the left button. If I assign it for the right mouse button, however, (as I'd like to do), all I get is a menu one single entry: "desktop settings" (which I don't have among my favorites).

Instead of completely removing the "standard menu", I also tried re-assigning it to shift+right click. But that didn't work. Or, it worked, but I still got the tiny "desktop settings" menu for the right mouse button.

Right now I have it working, as I have the "standard menu" on the right button, and favorites menu on the left button. A bit annoying to have it assigned to the left mouse button, but it does work!

I'll bug report the desktop settings thing.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:21 pm
Rubens wrote:With almost, I mean that I can't replace the "standard menu" for right mouse button. It works if I assign the Favorites launcher for the left button. If I assign it for the right mouse button, all I get is one entry: "desktop settings" (which I don't have among my favorites).

Instead of completely removing the "standard menu", I also tried adding it to shift+right click. But that didn't work.

Hm, I hadn't noticed that one before (since I keep the default right-click action). My settings are somewhat "basic" in that I only have:

1. Right-click: standard menu.
2. Vertical scroll: favorites launcher
3. Middle-click: application launcher

I use four activities, with the same mouse-action settings but with different "views". That is, two of them are folder-views and two are defaults.

I don't get that "only desktop settings" thing you describe, but I get the following when trying to reassign say the middle-click:

The previous setting (i.e. application launcher) isn't invoked anymore, but the new setting (i.e. switch window) isn't applied either.

I will try with a fresh user tomorrow to see if I can narrow down the problem, but could you please post the bug-number of your bug-report?

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.