This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Get monochrome Icons back for logout, shutdown etc.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kramskigrote
Registered Member
With the latest upgrade to breeze-icons 5.16.0-1 (or was it something else?) on Arch Linux, the logout, shutdown etc. icons have turned into big colourful rounded ones.

Is there a way to have the old monochrome icons back (without a general downgrade)?

TIA
Heinz
kramskigrote
Registered Member
Although I am on Plasma 5.4, installing the "Breeze Classic (5.4 look)" theme from http://opendesktop.org/content/show.php?content=174360 helped. (Need to re-login to view changes).

Regards,
Heinz
vishalrao
Registered Member
OS
I tried the "Breeze Classic" and "Breeze Classic Icons only" themes with relogin/restart but the Kicker/Kickoff menu still shows the colourful logout/restart/shutdown icons in the favourites area.

Any idea how I can manually modify the Kicker menu to show the monochromatic system icons, especially for logout, shutdown and restart?

"Thou shalt not follow the null pointer for at its end madness and chaos lie."
vishalrao
Registered Member
OS
Well, haha, I just copied the relevant files from /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/22 folder to the apps/32 folder, since they're SVG the sizing seems to be OK :D

I don't know if the monochromatic icons in the 22 folder were there as a result of me installing the "Breeze Classic 5.4 icons only" theme from KDE-look site, will have to try on a fresh install some time.

vishalrao
Registered Member
OS
Well, I'm now running latest 5.6 on KaOS, and now the icons are back to the ugly colourful ones.

Anyone has any ideas about reverting to the older mono icons for shutdown/reboot etc?

I tried copying the icons from the /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/22 folder to the other folders sizes (32 and 48) and restarted KDE but no luck (even after reboot and creating a new user)...

Tried picking the Breeze and Breeze Light themes as well.

wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
vishalrao wrote:I tried copying the icons from the /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/22 folder to the other folders sizes (32 and 48) and restarted KDE but no luck (even after reboot and creating a new user)...

This won't help.
Those icons are taken from the *desktop* theme, not the icon theme.

You can get the "classic" (i.e. 5.4) breeze desktop theme from here:
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=174360

If you only want to change the logout, shutdown, etc. icons, replace the file /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/default/icons/system.svgz.
You can use ~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/default/ too, that will override the system-wide files for the current user.
g00ey
Registered Member
OS
wolfi323 wrote:If you only want to change the logout, shutdown, etc. icons, replace the file /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/default/icons/system.svgz.
You can use ~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/default/ too, that will override the system-wide files for the current user.

I happen to have the old monochrome icon set but replacing the system.svgz doesn't help. I still have the same ugly colored icons, what gives?
vishalrao
Registered Member
OS
Update: This is looking great for 5.8 apparently :)