This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to remove all icons?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Gatenkaas
Registered Member

How to remove all icons?

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:31 am
I should preface this by saying that I do not use "KDE" the way people normally do. I run a couple of KDE programs, ksysguard, konsole, kate and dolphin, all in 4.13.3. I don't run systemsettings but I could in theory install it if the operation requires it. But I'd rather have a solution that allows me to do this by simply editing the files inside of ~/.kde

I want to remove all icons, just an icon theme that does not display any. Is there a setting for this? And I mean all icons if at all possible, everything that comes out of an icon theme just removed and replaced with nothing. Ideally the text next to it, if it exist moving to fill in the void but that isn't needed.

If it requires a hack of making an icon theme that is filled with empty icons then that would be acceptable, but I'd rather just cleanly remove them.
Don Jajo
Registered Member
OS

Re: How to remove all icons?

Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:49 am
Did mine once, mistakenly. You won't like it.
Goto the current icon you set in
Code: Select all
/usr/share/icons/the_icon_dir
and purge everything there or in
~/.icons/the_icon_dir
Gatenkaas
Registered Member

Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:50 pm
Well, it removes them, which is a visual improvement, it just doesn't slide the text to fill up the vacuum.

I'm beginning to think there actually is no real implemented option to not use icons, is that true?
Don Jajo
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:03 am
Okay, Now I understand what you mean. I'm not sure of that :)
Gatenkaas
Registered Member

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:44 am
Yeah, I thought so, seems really weird that there is no option.

Part of the reason I want to remove the icons is because I can't find a theme that I find pretty and making one myself for _all_ those things is a lot of work, the other is that it just takes up space. The name of the thing is right next to the icon, why would I need an icon to tell me?
Don Jajo
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:38 am
Checked out the Numix icon theme? It's cool for me and the only icon theme that I see updated like daily with app icons

https://github.com/numixproject/numix-icon-theme-circle
Heiko Tietze
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:52 am
There is an option to show icons on buttons and menus, or not. You may find it at system settings > application style > widget style > fine tuning. No idea how to access this option directly, but I'm sure there is a way.
And probably not all applications follow this setting (or I'm completely wrong). For instance, Dolphin's toolbar still show icons when I uncheck both options.
Gatenkaas
Registered Member

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:57 pm
Turns out I already had those options turned off, but there are still icons inside say the dolphin file manager:

Also:

[KDE]
ShowDeleteCommand=false
ShowIconsInMenuItems=false
ShowIconsOnPushButtons=false
SingleClick=true

inside ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals

As for Numix, Numix is exactly what I find aesthetically displeasing about most icon themes. A wild cacophony of non matching colours providing a distraction. But the main issue is not the aesthetics but just that it takes up space.