This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How can i display the kernel version in my sddm login theme?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
susejunky
Registered Member
OS
Dear community,

I'm new to this forum and hopefully placed this post of mine in the proper sub-forum. If not, please forgive me and advice me where to place it. Thank you.

openSUSE is my default Linux distribution and KDE my default desktop environment. Since KDE4 i used to have my "personal" kdm login theme. With openSUSE 42.1 came sddm and my beloved theme didn't work any longer.

I do know little (not to say nothing) about QT or QML or any other QT- programming so i consulted the themes provided by the sddm package and finally managed to port my kdm theme to sddm successfully. So far, so good. But there is one thing i couldn't figure out yet:

I want to have the current kernel version being displayed on the login screen. sddm does not seem to provide a property for this (at least i didn't find one). Some way down the internet i found something like "QSysInfo::kernelVersion" but have no idea how to use that in the "Main.qml" of my theme. I tried
Code: Select all
text: QSysInfo.kernelVersion()
That doesn't trigger any error but produces no result either.

Is there anybody here who could advice me please on how to proceed? I already asked this question here: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/511799-sddm-login-theme but up to now there was no solution proposed - apart from switching to kdm. That would be a valid way to use my kdm theme. But nevertheless i am interested in building an sddm theme which shows the kernel version.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

susejunky