This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Window count on task manager

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ericjs
Registered Member

Window count on task manager

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:58 pm
Recently I'm seeing an icon with the window count over any application icon in the Task Manager (the task "bar") that has more than one window. So like a green circle with a 2 in it over the Dolphin icon. I'm not sure why this suddenly changed for me, maybe a configuration change (I recently had to restore a backup of plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc after multi-monitor support wigged out and somehow lost my task manager) or maybe a update. Regardless I'd just like to know how to turn this off. This circle-with-a-number graphic is nearly as big as the icon and totally obscures it, making it hard to tell what the damn application is! Alternately if there is a way to configure its size, that would help.

I don't see any place to configure this stuff in the Task Manager Settings dialog.

I'm running 5.5.3 of Plasma Desktop
ericjs
Registered Member

Re: Window count on task manager

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:46 pm
Actually, it looks like it's not a precise window count but rather appears whenever there's more than one, with "2+" in the circle. But the same question of how to turn it off stands.
highsciguy
Registered Member

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:55 pm
Same problem here.
google01103
Manager

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:27 pm
as I don't see it (I have a teeny, tiny triangle) it seems to be theme related, test by switching theme to Oxygen. Guessing you all are using the Breeze theme (or a variant) and the change was pushed out during an update.

Solution possibilities:
- change theme
- edit theme
- find a copy of the older Breeze theme

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

wolfi323
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:21 pm
The only way I know to get rid of it, disable "grouping" in the task manager settings.

Or enlarge your panel, it should not cover the icon then. Here it looks like this:
highsciguy
Registered Member

Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:55 pm
Indeed it is an issue with the Breeze theme (default with Kubuntu 15.10). Changing the size did not help for me.
It is not necessary to change the complete theme. Changing 'Task Items' in the 'Desktop Theme' 'Details' is sufficient.
I tried a few others but could not find one which looked similar to the bright Breeze theme. The panel will typically look darker or transparent.
google01103
Manager

Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:48 pm
highsciguy wrote:Indeed it is an issue with the Breeze theme (default with Kubuntu 15.10). Changing the size did not help for me.
It is not necessary to change the complete theme. Changing 'Task Items' in the 'Desktop Theme' 'Details' is sufficient.
I tried a few others but could not find one which looked similar to the bright Breeze theme. The panel will typically look darker or transparent.

re: Desktop heme -> Details - the details tab will be disappearing in a later release https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/126953/diff/1/

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

highsciguy
Registered Member

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:53 pm
Where do you report bugs for the Breeze theme?
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:06 pm
highsciguy wrote:Where do you report bugs for the Breeze theme?

http://bugs.kde.org/ , component "Breeze".

Btw, my screenshot was with breeze (5.5.4). How does it look on your system? What version of Plasma (and breeze) are you using?
highsciguy
Registered Member

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:16 pm
My plasma version is 5.5.4. For Breeze I do not know how to find the version number. In my version the count icon is always centered exactly above the application icon and has the same size. I have some specific icon settings which were necessary with my Nvidia graphics. Since installing the older Breeze theme by choosing 'Breeze Classic' was simpler than I thought I am using that one now.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:07 pm
highsciguy wrote:My plasma version is 5.5.4. For Breeze I do not know how to find the version number.

You can find the version number in your package manager.
But it should be the same as Plasma.

I have some specific icon settings which were necessary with my Nvidia graphics.

Specific icon settings?
In what regard?

Btw, meanwhile I noticed that I actually used the "openSUSE" theme.
With breeze I do indeed also see what you describe...
Sorry for the confusion.

Enlarging the panel does help to some degree, but you have to make it quite large (and if you make it too large, the task manager will switch to using two rows and the icons get smaller again).
FWIW, I do agree with you that the size of the "2+" overlay is a bit too big in breeze.
highsciguy
Registered Member

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:40 pm
To get proper icons after activating the proprietary Nvidia drivers, I had to add something like 'Option "DPI" "96 x 96"' to my xorg.conf.
I am not sure anymore now how it influenced the icons, but it was required to get icon/font things display properly.
I couldn't verify that the +2 icons shift relative to the application icons, even with extremely large panel.
ericjs
Registered Member

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:13 am
This has gotten even worse with Plasma 5.6.1 and Breeze. Now it is just a + in a green circle icon the obscure all but a tiny sliver of the underlying app icon.
ericjs
Registered Member

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:20 am
As far as I can tell no one has ever posted a bug for this, so I have now: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=361567