This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Customizations by command line

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gottfried51
Registered Member

Customizations by command line

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:06 pm
Hi everybody, I am new to the forum.

I am a teacher and responsible for about 200 PCs in our school. 2 years ago I switched from Win to Ubuntu. I'd like to convince pupils of Free Software. Most of them like it but our XFCE4 desktop is rather old-fashioned. Some of them would like Win10 to be installed. I asked them why and got the answer "because it is cool". Now I showed KDE Plasma to them and they really like it, it is "cool"! So I want to install KDE on our PCs.
We use a script system to install Linux and applications automatically. But I would like to customize the desktops: Use SAL, put some icons to control panel, use own wallpapers, ...
It is not possible to go to 200 PCs to customize each PC. Now my question is: Are there command line utilities to customize KDE?
Example:
<utility> desktop SAL
<utility> addicon cotrolpanel firefox.desktop
<utility> addicon cotrolpanel libreoffice.desktop
<utility> addicon cotrolpanel dolphin.desktop
<utility> wallpaper <path>/mywallpaper.png
<utility> lock miniprograms
and so on
if KDE starts it should look like described in this script.

Especially I would like to customize the upper part. I found the containment "stripwidget" in plasma-desktop-appletsrc. If I add the lines
[Containments][14][stripwidget][favourite-0]
url=<path-to-desktop-file>
(and so on, favourite-1, favourite-2, ...)
I get what I want. But it seems to me that [14] is not always the same, so I am afraid to get in troubles doing it. Is there a utility like
<utility> stripwidget add <path-to-desktop-file>?

Another reason of looking for such a utility is that I have to configure the desktops a little bit different. This should be done by a script that is executed each time the PC starts, like
<utility> addicon cotrolpanel music.desktop
<utility> delicon cotrolpanel art.desktop

Many thanks!

Cheers,
Gottfried